Exhaust Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Advice.

Ok, i have a 01 Crew xlt. I just had long tubes, and a 3" off road Y installed. that goes into my single exit Gibson cat back, also 3". At idle, truck sounds beyond amazing, not loud, but a great throaty tone. Here is the problem, when i give it some gas, its stupid raspy. And im really starting to regret doing the headers. Before, the header install, the truck had a nice tone but very very quiet. To the point when people would ride with me they would say " I thought you had exhaust on this thing?" So the headers made it louder, but raspy at the same time. So what can i do to correct this? Maybe put high flow cats on it? change muffler? etc. If you say cats, do i need to replace the entire y pipe or can i put one after the Y before the muffler, etc. Any advice would be great.

On a side not, not looking to getting into a debate on if 3" exhaust is to big on a truck with out major mods. thats whats on the truck, was on there when i got it, not changing it. TIA

Old 08-10-2015, 05:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exhaust Advice.

Single 3" is fine for your truck. Stock was better, but no one's going to argue about that with you.
Yes adding high flows should help the rasp. Put one on each side right after the headers. If that didn't do it enough may wanna look into a buffet muffler. Like a Borla. They hold their tone very well with very little rasp.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive been trying to find a mid pipe with high flows that will work with long tubes and im not having any luck. suggestions?

Old 08-10-2015, 05:35 PM
Exhaust Advice.

Originally Posted by Blacksheep331
ive been trying to find a mid pipe with high flows that will work with long tubes and im not having any luck. suggestions?
You aren't going to. Buy magnaflow universal high flow cats and have a shop install them.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:19 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep, needs cats to eliminate rasp. You will be quite pleased with it after.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:45 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The myth about high flow cats

http://www.catalyticconverter.org/ne...erter-&News=89

The oem units are already "Hi Flow cats"....you won't change a thing by swapping....if you did, it was because there was an issue (maintenance- i.e. repair) with your current units.

The raspiness can be caused by several things, but, assuming that the install was done correctly and everything is mechanically correct, a simple, effective and cost efficient way to mitigate this is to install resonators at each tailpipe.....10" length typically takes acre of it and they are a lot cheaper than needlessly replacing cats.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:32 PM
Exhaust Advice.

Originally Posted by beechkid
The myth about high flow cats

http://www.catalyticconverter.org/ne...erter-&News=89

The oem units are already "Hi Flow cats"....you won't change a thing by swapping....if you did, it was because there was an issue (maintenance- i.e. repair) with your current units.

The raspiness can be caused by several things, but, assuming that the install was done correctly and everything is mechanically correct, a simple, effective and cost efficient way to mitigate this is to install resonators at each tailpipe.....10" length typically takes acre of it and they are a lot cheaper than needlessly replacing cats.
I don't think he has any cats at all right now

Old 08-16-2015, 11:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good idea with the resonators per tailpipe suggestion though. But definitely adding a set of cats to this exhaust should eliminate a lot of the rasp.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Advice.