2010 5.4 headers. Long term success or problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 5.4 headers. Long term success or problems

I have a 2010 f-150 Supercrew Lariat with the 5.4. I've only had it a few weeks and of course Now it has the infamous exhaust leak/ broken manifold studs. So I figured if I'm going to pay someone to fix it , I might as well put some shorty headers on it. I went to a local shop that came very highly recommended and he quoted me $280 per side for labor unless something went horribly wrong. I thought that sounded like a very reasonable price but he recommended NOT to put headers on it. So now to my questions. First, Is that a good price for labor? I've always worked on my own vehicles but I just don't feel like fighting this job. Second ,why would he recommend not putting headers on? He didn't really explain his reasoning for it. And last question, what are you're long term results with either JBA or Gibson shorty headers? If I'm going to wrap up a bunch of money in this , I want it to last. I'm also putting a Magnaflow catback system on it, but I will do that myself. Sorry for this being so long winded, and I'm sure all this has been answered in other posts, but I couldn't really find what I wanted to know.Any help, answers, comments, or lame jokes are appreciated !

Old 08-04-2015, 08:36 PM
I have a leak myself and am in the process of getting it fixed. Shop I usually go to is gonna run me $800 for both sides so your price is good. Another off road shop tried to steer me away from headers too. Said there would be issues down the road with blowing gaskets but I'd love to hear what others have truly experienced as well. I'm debating between shorty headers, stock manifold, and long tubes as well. Let me know what ya'll find out or have experienced!

Old 08-04-2015, 08:51 PM
After a lot of research, I decided to go with the JBA Shorty's, Percy's seal 4 good gaskets, and Stage 8 locking bolts. But after checking it all out, the Stage 8's locking tabs don't hit the pipes in all locations. So I just ordered the Percy's locking bolts also. I figured they could decide which ones would work. I have a friend with an 09 and he used the JBAs and the Percy's gaskets and he hasn't had a problem in 2 years. So my truck goes to the shop Friday. I will let you know how it works out !

Quick Reply: 2010 5.4 headers. Long term success or problems