Any thoughts on manifold vs Shorty's vs LT's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 04:31 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Almost certain manifold leak: Any thoughts on manifold vs Shorty's vs LT's?

I'm not doing this repair yet as the truck is no longer a daily. That being said I am trying to figure out how to approach this. I do not own a lift and I'm likely going to have it done to save myself the headache. I know it's do able but I don't have anywhere safe to do this as we have a foolish gravel driveway and I don't like laying on my back for hours on end pissed off lol.

I have started to rule out headers because I think there's no point for me personally. I don't need more power and when I weld up my nice cat back soon, I think my borla s type will be plenty loud. The issue I'm have is factory manifolds vs a good quality shorty header. I've read many positive things on the JBA headers but also some negative. Does anyone have ACTUAL experience with these?

The only pro I see with long tube headers right now is I can buy the Dynatech full kit and everything is completely bolt on. I plan to fab all new mid pipes but with the original flanges and piping right now, I think it's asking for trouble attaching new manifolds. The bolts are probably rusted to the flanges. I'd completely rebuild all of it but since I'd have someone do the manifold replacement, the old stuff would have to be mated at first. I'm just not sure what to do I guess.

Last edited by TruckGuy24; 05-24-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:51 PM

Man this site is dead. Back in 09 this exhaust forum was bumping.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Man this site is dead. Back in 09 this exhaust forum was bumping.
This... And I'm not even an old member. Sometimes I just tear my truck apart when I have a problem instead of asking on this particular forum because it's faster, lol.

You didn't bring up money being an issue, and you mentioned that you having a shop or someone else do the install... in that case, LT's have no drawbacks.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:19 PM

You aren't kidding!

It's not that money isn't a concern, its just deciding what really makes sense. I'm the "do it right do it once" kind of guy. I'd rather pay more and know it's a great product. If ford charges nearly 1k for a manifold on one side, that doesn't seem like a wise purchase to me. Dynatech makes such nice headers I am starting to weigh the $1300 price plus install. 304ss, thick flanges (like most aftermarket headers) a little more sound an power plus it's all bolt on. Or the factory manifold lol. I talked to a shop today via email and they no longer touch trucks this "old". I'll probably keep an eye on it and do the headers when I think I'm ready. I just keep thinking about 600-1000 manifold job from ford and I can't pay that for factory crap that is known to warp. If the other ones goes, now your over the cost of headers.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
You aren't kidding!

It's not that money isn't a concern, its just deciding what really makes sense. I'm the "do it right do it once" kind of guy. I'd rather pay more and know it's a great product. If ford charges nearly 1k for a manifold on one side, that doesn't seem like a wise purchase to me. Dynatech makes such nice headers I am starting to weigh the $1300 price plus install. 304ss, thick flanges (like most aftermarket headers) a little more sound an power plus it's all bolt on. Or the factory manifold lol. I talked to a shop today via email and they no longer touch trucks this "old". I'll probably keep an eye on it and do the headers when I think I'm ready. I just keep thinking about 600-1000 manifold job from ford and I can't pay that for factory crap that is known to warp. If the other ones goes, now your over the cost of headers.
I definitely wouldn't pay that much for factory manifolds.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:21 AM

That's sadly the going rate. I'll likely end up waiting and just do the header kit. It's a lot of money but it's all new components. Not that I need headers though.

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on manifold vs Shorty's vs LT's?