K&N Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Intake

Recently picked up a new to me 2010 F-150, last truck I had was a work/company truck but thought I'd like to have one of my own again. Haven't had it long enough to do a oil change on it yet and so far have added a swing out tool box on the drivers side - passenger side ordered - and a DU-HA under seat organizer.

Lastly upgraded to a K&N intake system. Have only had it on since Saturday, but so far so good. Truck was showing 16L/100Km previous and is now showing 14L/100KM on the first fill after install.

Before
Name:  IMG_20141018_103521_zpsed1f9872.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  94.3 KB

After
Name:  IMG_20141018_113111_zps4c1ea807.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  100.7 KB

Result
Name:  IMG_20141020_135810_zps290d3301.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  38.5 KB

Not sure what the next upgrade will be. I'm thinking either exhaust or a aftermarket command start that actually works. I haven't had much luck with the factory ones on the last 2 trucks. Probably the way I'll go, especially with the cold weather coming up, and I have a bit of research to do on the exhaust.

Been a while since I've been on the forum and looking forward to getting back into it.

Thanks for reading.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:09 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You are going to need a tune to render that intake safe to use. Yer mileage results could be due to MAF TF skew.

And be prepared to keep cleaning the MAF. The K&N media is not that great at filtration - and the oil can migrate.

No power gains to speak of - the stock intake already dramatically outflows the needs of the engine.

Read==> https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...highlight=2009

Old 10-21-2014, 07:23 AM
"We are aware of the “urban myth” (K&N News Story) created by a few dealerships that a vehicle's MAF sensor can be contaminated by K&N filter oil. No evidence has ever been provided to support this “myth” and years of diagnostic testing by K&N has shown that not only is this allegation not real, it is not even possible. In our opinion, it is an excuse for a dealership and/or the vehicle manufacturer to avoid a legitimate warranty repair. In the last 4 years, we have sold over 10,000,000 lifetime air filters and received only a few hundred calls from consumers who are having dealership or service provider challenges. We believe that Dealership's or service provider's real incentive may be to discourage the use of reusable products so they can sell disposable products over and over. In order to provide consumers with added comfort that they will not be placed in a bad position by an improper warranty denial, we offer our Consumer Protection Pledge."

Only been 2 days so we will see. I was always under the impression that the truck need to "learn" once a mod has been made and adapt to it. I will see how things progress over the next week or 2 and go from there.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:42 AM
I didn't drink the K&N cool aid but here is some more info on the other side. Now that this has been brought up I will be doing a lot of searching for sure. Thanks.

http://www.knfilters.com/maf/massair.htm

Old 10-21-2014, 07:59 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by paulwhittom
"We are aware of the “urban myth” (K&N News Story) created by a few dealerships that a vehicle's MAF sensor can be contaminated by K&N filter oil. No evidence has ever been provided to support this “myth” and years of diagnostic testing by K&N has shown that not only is this allegation not real, it is not even possible. In our opinion, it is an excuse for a dealership and/or the vehicle manufacturer to avoid a legitimate warranty repair. In the last 4 years, we have sold over 10,000,000 lifetime air filters and received only a few hundred calls from consumers who are having dealership or service provider challenges. We believe that Dealership's or service provider's real incentive may be to discourage the use of reusable products so they can sell disposable products over and over. In order to provide consumers with added comfort that they will not be placed in a bad position by an improper warranty denial, we offer our Consumer Protection Pledge."

Only been 2 days so we will see. I was always under the impression that the truck need to "learn" once a mod has been made and adapt to it. I will see how things progress over the next week or 2 and go from there.
One would expect K&N to defend their cash cow. However, despite their rhetoric, the issue remains. One only needs to review the many instances reported on here, or talk to any of the reputable custom tuning shops. The problem is indeed real. I, and many others - have experienced it first-hand.

(Apart from all of the dirt the media is missing - check the inside of the intake tude and the throttle body later - if you care)

On the 'learning' - you are mistaken - the MAF is a PRIMARY REFERENCE sensor - the MAF Transfer function (TF) is hard-coded into the PCM and is accurate ONLY for the intake the truck came with. You alter the MAF region's geometry, ( and that POS K&N certainly has) and a new TF is required. And a CEL may not occur - direct measurement required. Again - well-documented, and easily confirmed.

Let's see:

-Potential to foul the MAF
-Introduces unfiltered fine particulates into the intake tract and the oil.
-flows no better than stock
-skews the MAF transfer function
-~10% rotomolded plastic manufacturing tolerance contributing to point above

^^^ Yep a real smart mod

Yer truck - yer money (which you have just wasted) - much better to have invested in a custom tuned programmer instead - and realized real, useful, tangible gains.

That's usually the result of buying before researching. All of this vast, precious archival knowledge available - overlooked and ignored. Shame, that.

Only a Search away. If you care. Sounds like you don't.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/3912951-post27.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/4739726-post9.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...tock-tune.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...ir-intake.html

MGD out.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:29 AM
Good to be back!

I always look at both sides before making a decision. I have had a dozen K&N's over multiple vehicles and never had an issue.

I have also owned Fords as my last 5 vehicles. If I listened to every Chevy and Dodge guy out there I have made a fatal mistake by buying Ford. There are websites I'm sure explaining that without a doubt Ford is the worst and you are wasting your money.

We shall see on all counts I guess.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want to keep the intake, replace the filter media with an amsoil or dry filter unit.
I ran an oiled drop in, and my truck did not like it. Constant cleaning of the MAF is required and IMO not worth it. I wish I could get back the $50 I spent on it as well as the cleaning solvents.

Now I have the "gotts" mod and a dry $14.00 purolator air filter from advance auto.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Looks good!
I too defied the myth and ran one anyways.
I had one on my '04 for over 100,000 miles. Never had a problem. The engine never blew up due to a lean condition. Never had to clean the MAF sensor due to excess dirt or oil problems. The truck ran great without any problems all those years with it.
The intake noise did get annoying from time to time.

Quick Reply: K&N Intake