Headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headers

I have a 2003 Ford F-150 with the 4.6 v8 in it. Thinking about maybe getting headers. I'd prefer long headers ( so I do t get as much engine noise) but I guess any will really do. U don't wanna break the bank for them just looking for a good cheap header.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best bang for the buck is going to be shorties since they're a direct bolt-on.

Gibson stainless steel headers 1999-2004 F-150 4.6L

Gibson ceramic-coated stainless steel headers 1999-2004 F-150 4.6L

Last edited by EsJayEs; 10-21-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:37 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Shorties can also hurt low end torque.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Shorties can also hurt low end torque.
... and produce no noticeable HP gains.

They will be louder - given the absence of resonance-damping cast iron.

As an OEM stock iron replacement, they are adequate. As a perf mod, bupkis. Right up there with a Turdonator 'er a TB spacer

MGD

Old 10-21-2014, 07:48 PM
What about a normal long header ? Or will I have to cut some pipe to them to fit ?

Old 10-21-2014, 07:54 PM
I may just but the bullet and pay the price for them but I don't know. As of right now that's more then I wanna spend. Does dynomax make a header ? I have a dynomax system. I heard headers increase power. I don't really wanna loose low end power, but how do the Lon g headers for ? Do you have to cut pipe or something ? How hard is it to get the stock manafold off ? All my studs seem intaked just looks like if I soak them a couple days in penetrating fluid and clean the surface rust off I'll be good.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:52 PM
Long-tube headers cost more to start with generally, then you have to do some fabrication to hook it up to your exhaust or go completely custom.

In my opinion, long-tubes are more expensive than they're worth. But if money isn't an issue, go for it as long as you don't live in one of the California emissions states. If I were going to spend that kind of money, I'd do an engine swap instead.

Going back to the beginning, this is why shorties are my recommendation.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:56 AM
Ahh okay thanks ! See I'm not too familiar with it. So what's some good shorties to look for and what about my question on removale of manafolds and installation of headers ?

Old 10-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by EsJayEs
Long-tube headers cost more to start with generally, then you have to do some fabrication to hook it up to your exhaust or go completely custom.

In my opinion, long-tubes are more expensive than they're worth. But if money isn't an issue, go for it as long as you don't live in one of the California emissions states. If I were going to spend that kind of money, I'd do an engine swap instead.

Going back to the beginning, this is why shorties are my recommendation.
You make absolutely no sense... Fabricating ? That's a new one, like whats to fabricate lol.

Shorties do absolutely nothing for performance, - except hurt it down low, if anything.

Just curious, what's with posting crap all the time ? Do you really get your jolly's this way...steering people in the wrong direction ?? I mean common,- why ? You don't know schlitz, trying to make up for that ...back asswards??

Old 10-26-2014, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Hey, it has been a while since I tried to pick a fight on the internet. Good times...
Indeed - always a pleasure.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:39 AM

So your the guy that does that. Makes up phoney quotes to avoid your misgivings. -

I never said that ^^^^.

Pathetic that is. You haven't a clue what your talking about and resort to phoney quotes vs explaining yourself or at least providing data supporting what your spewing.

Perhaps it's time for you to do the opposite now, - actually attempt to help someone that could use a hand.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
I think you're awesome. Would you mind elaborating on your previous statement? I'm intrigued...
No problem. Shorty headers are a direct bolt-on - so you can reuse your factory Y-pipe and cats. Where long-tube headers are nice, the added cost of modifying or making a new one quickly adds up.

It's a matter of budget and preference. I hope this helps.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:53 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by EsJayEs
No problem. Shorty headers are a direct bolt-on - so you can reuse your factory Y-pipe and cats. Where long-tube headers are nice, the added cost of modifying or making a new one quickly adds up.

It's a matter of budget and preference. I hope this helps.

MGD

Old 10-27-2014, 10:23 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
All right, guys. Hopefully, the OP now knows that if he wants performance he needs long tube headers. And, if he's going for looks and possibly more noise, he has the other option.

Let's stay away from a contest to see who can one-up the other. It doesn't really serve anyone well.

Thanks in advance.

- Jack

Old 10-27-2014, 11:56 AM

Yea, but that's not right, - making up phoney quotes from other users should be a serious violation. The guy should be axed IMO, -as it crosses the line. If a user would stoop to that level, what else has he done?

Now his post makes sense (post #12), but he didn't say that before.

He falsified a 2 quotes from me now, -no one else here has done that in the past IME.

This user makes incorrect statements, guiding others in the wrong direction. It's done purposely, he's been here long enough to know. This isn't the first time.

MGD, yea he won, just like a bad politician with no ground to stand on. One whom fantasizes out loud with hopes nobody catches on.

Quick Reply: Headers