Which magnaflow is for me?

Old 09-03-2014, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which magnaflow is for me?

Ok so I've been on magnaflows website and was looking at their mufflers. But I see a lot of different ones under the universal section. Now I'm confused on which size I would need for my 2001 ford f150. That being said I've seen some that are 14 inches all the way to 27 inches. None are different except for spec wise. So do they all sound the same? I'm wanting that deep throaty truck sound. But I'm super confused. Can anyone tell me which one I would need... I'm only looking to buy a muffler and nothing else

Old 09-03-2014, 01:00 AM

Generally, the bigger the quieter, the smaller the louder. I like really loud personally, so I'd get the 14" because your 4 cats quiet the exhaust a lot.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A smaller muffler is more likely to cause droning, but will be louder. 18" should provide a good balance. If you're doing a dumped exhaust, consider a 22". Both will still be plenty loud and have a very nice, throaty sound.

Pipe diameter and exit location are also a factor in sound. For example, going from 2.25" to 2.5" tubing will make the sound a little louder and deeper. Split-dual will sound even nicer. A 45° elbow coming off the muffler will be the loudest and very bassy and less throaty since the sound waves are hitting the ground and bouncing around under the truck, but it's the most economical exhaust setup.

Magnaflow XL mufflers are a chambered-style (like Flowmaster), and their regular mufflers are a straight-through design (and worth the few extra bucks).

http://www.realtruck.com/magnaflow-m...ainless-steel/

Or you can take out the guesswork and go with a Magnaflow cat-back system.

http://www.realtruck.com/magnaflow-e...001Y212MA.html

Old 09-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Thanks guys I'm going with an 18 inch 2.25 pipe offset inlet and outlet! My trucks gonna sound good now! I've also heard that exhaust tips help sound sl any recommendations?

Old 09-04-2014, 02:25 PM

I'd shell out and make sure that whatever tips you get are polished 304 stainless steel. They're considerably more expensive, but if they ever get nasty, you can just scuff them with steel wool and they look brand spankin new again. Other ones get gross and then rot, so they're worth the extra coin. I love how my 4" Roush/Borla ones look and sound.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which magnaflow is for me?