Need Help Possible IAC problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 01:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help Possible IAC problem

For a long time my truck would turn the battery light on at 4k rpm and it would go away when it came down under 4000 rpm. I never payed no attention and let that go on for a while. About to weeks ago i was driving and all of a sudden my truck just died out while i was turning into the store. Once i pushed it into a spot i tried starting it again and it started fine but when i hit the throttle it would die after or if I let it idle long enough it would just die. I thought it was the fuel pump so I replaced that and the fuel filter and no luck. I then took the battery and alternator to have it tested and the battery came up with a bad cell and the alternator was good. I found some posts on the IAC getting stuck so I tried cleaning it out. I used carb cleaner I had for my dirt bike but might have made the mistake by trying to dry it with a air compressor. Before It would turn on and idle for a while and now it turns on and dies immediately unless i keep on the gas. Is this a possible IAC problem or something else. Tomorrow I am going to take the throttle body out and make sure it is clean as well.

Also when i turn the ignition to on the battery light and the service engine soon light comes on

Last edited by SOLIDSNAKE367; 08-01-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:01 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The carb cleaner probably destroyed the IAC. WD-40 is better.

The cleaner you used was a spray, right? If you used the stuff that you dunk parts in, then it's shot for sure.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:08 AM
yes it was it was a honda one for dirt bikes and it sprays, ill be going to get a new one as soon as i can then. Thanks a lot.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:49 AM
I replaced my IAC and it still does the same thing it just takes a little longer to die now what could the problem be??

Old 08-12-2014, 05:43 PM
check you vacuum lines. Look at the ones that connect to air intake. Also make sure your MAF is clean.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:28 PM
I cleaned the MAF and the truck still seems to idle weird, it will drop to about 500 and then go back up it just seems off. imma start checking vacuum lines tonight thank you

Quick Reply: Need Help Possible IAC problem