Will the gotts mod be enough for new headers and muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will the gotts mod be enough for new headers and muffler?

I'm planning on getting OBX long tube headers and a magnaflow cat back exhaust.

will the gotts mod be enough for the intake? I'd raher not spend 3 bills on something that's just to look pretty.

truck is an '06 5.4 Lariat

Old 04-23-2014, 09:20 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
The stock intake can flow enough air to satisfy any stock or close to stock engine.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by glc
The stock intake can flow enough air to satisfy any stock or close to stock engine.
+1

I did the gotts mod on my truck. It made absolutely zero difference in performance and mileage over stock.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did the Gotts mod, I got a bit of a boost on the butt dyno, but noticed it more at the gas pump. I noticed more of an improvement with throttle response with the AirRAID MIT cold air tube. Not sure if a "real"CAI would be any better. Mind you, I already had a K&N on the truck, if you factor the cost of the MIT + the cost of a performance filter, you are getting close to the cost of a full on CAI. I have to admit though, I really do like the look of the AirRAID in the engine compartment over the other types... Just looks cleaner to me...

I digress though. I somewhat suspect that the Gotts mod might not give enough surface area to take advantage of a cat back, but then again, it might. Consider that unless your cat back literally includes the Y pipe, it will pick up 2 2.5" pipes and jam them into a 2.5" pipe before flaring out to a 3" pipe... The Gotts mod uses 3" pipe to get the stuff in, so yeah, it should suffice...

Old 07-16-2014, 06:36 PM

Even an unmodified stock intake would be enough. You aren't affecting the intake side at all by adding headers. Only time you'd need more air is if you got a supercharger or turbo.

I have the same headers on my 06 5.4 too.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Even an unmodified stock intake would be enough. You aren't affecting the intake side at all by adding headers. Only time you'd need more air is if you got a supercharger or turbo.

I have the same headers on my 06 5.4 too.
Not sure how to respond to this. I haven't done a "real" dyno test on mine, but I can tell you what I have experienced is with the Gotts mod, I did get a slight, but perceptible bump in MPG. No clue about actual power. It was along the lines of .2 to .3 MPG consistently.

With the AirRAID MIT I gained a notable improvement in throttle response, and my mileage went up yet again, at least when I keep my foot out of it. Driving like a rational human being that is not enjoying the real honest to goodness sound of an American V8 engine, my mileage went up another full 1 MPG, HOWEVER, it is kind of hard not to enjoy the right pedal to the detriment of my mileage... To the tune of about -2 MPG...

I know it is probably due to the higher than typical effective gear ratio, that my mileage is actually decent on road trips on reasonably flat land, say between Houston and Dallas, where I can set the cruise at a reasonable (65-70 mph) pace I am getting in the high teens, have been known to brush up against 20 MPG. Not too bad for a 10 year old 4x4 pickup truck with 95K miles, 35 inch tires and a load in the bed... My in town mileage is dramatically lower than that, averaging 12 - 14 depending on my right foot.

I don't think the stock air box itself is anywhere near a restriction, but the tube going through the fender sure is a restriction, and those baffles in the stock intake can't help things either...

Old 07-17-2014, 01:17 PM
dmp
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Echoing above - Gotts mod is not a power-adder. Engines pull in as much air as they can, just about all the time. If the factory intake were inefficient to the point of leaving a lot of power on the table it would face re-design. Perhaps other intakes 'might' make 'some' power, but at the cost of what?

Old 07-17-2014, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by dbhost
Not sure how to respond to this. I haven't done a "real" dyno test on mine, but I can tell you what I have experienced is with the Gotts mod, I did get a slight, but perceptible bump in MPG. No clue about actual power. It was along the lines of .2 to .3 MPG consistently.

With the AirRAID MIT I gained a notable improvement in throttle response, and my mileage went up yet again, at least when I keep my foot out of it. Driving like a rational human being that is not enjoying the real honest to goodness sound of an American V8 engine, my mileage went up another full 1 MPG, HOWEVER, it is kind of hard not to enjoy the right pedal to the detriment of my mileage... To the tune of about -2 MPG...

I know it is probably due to the higher than typical effective gear ratio, that my mileage is actually decent on road trips on reasonably flat land, say between Houston and Dallas, where I can set the cruise at a reasonable (65-70 mph) pace I am getting in the high teens, have been known to brush up against 20 MPG. Not too bad for a 10 year old 4x4 pickup truck with 95K miles, 35 inch tires and a load in the bed... My in town mileage is dramatically lower than that, averaging 12 - 14 depending on my right foot.

I don't think the stock air box itself is anywhere near a restriction, but the tube going through the fender sure is a restriction, and those baffles in the stock intake can't help things either...
I can only barely get into the 15s if every mile is driven at 65MPH on flat highway. And that's in my 2WD with non-aggressive 33s lol.

I agree that the Gotts Mod definitely should make it easier for air to flow better, but the engine can't really use it from the math I've seen. But either way, I'm hard to please. I'd love to drive my truck when it was bone stock, cause LT headers, no cats, full exhaust, custom tunes, etc. I barely noticed.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:26 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Headers and intake mod will help only if you do a custom tune that utilizes the changes available. Otherwise negligible results.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bluejay
Headers and intake mod will help only if you do a custom tune that utilizes the changes available. Otherwise negligible results.
Which I have with almost no difference noticed

Old 07-17-2014, 05:08 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I noticed a huge difference with my 2005 5.4. Made it no fun to drive with stock tune.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:12 PM

I have been meaning to experiment with going back to stock and seeing how that is. I'll do it once school starts again and I have time to fart around with it. My CEL will come on cause the rear O2s will come back on.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:45 PM
What? You have an '06 with 4 cats? I though they stopped that nonsense in '05...

Old 07-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Not sure what the engineering math says, but just from my own real world experience I did notice actual honest to goodness MPG gains. And again, throttle response is noticeably better. I did not claim it makes more power, or is faster, but power does come on more smoothly with the intake mod. And honestly, all else being equal, I like the look, and sound of the MIT better than the OE tube..

Old 07-17-2014, 06:49 PM
From what I remember Bill from PHP did some testing on a 09 5.4 3v with his version of gotts mod. According to the sheets I saw he got a solid 7 horse and torque at 3500 rpms. So yes not a lot and might be hard to notice, but for 20 bucks it's better than nothing.
I did the gotts and notice better throttle response but that was it and it was with canned tunes. Haven't ordered custom tunes yet.
I've debated on getting a used aftermarket intake that is all closed box to get rid of the panel filter and go conical, but for the price new I wouldn't waste the money.

Quick Reply: Will the gotts mod be enough for new headers and muffler?