Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Exhaust & Intake Systems
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Exhaust & Intake Systems SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 12-03-2012, 01:33 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Ecoboost Exhaust Benefits vs Sound...

I just bought a 2013 Ecoboost. I've pretty much always heard/been told that supercharged and turbocharged engines benefit from less restrictive exhaust systems. So I have a few questions:

1) Is there an actual/measurable benefit to a 3" or 4" exhaust system on an Ecoboost truck in daily driving/towing. I dont care about 5700rpm Dyno figures the manufacturers post up.

2) Is there a system (if 1 is true) that sounds OK, but does not resonate and is not overly loud? I've heard some exhaust videos but to me they are just a deep sounding V6...still sounds like a V6, no where near the sound of a V8. Im not trying to find exhaust that tries to make the truck sound like something it is not. I'm more interested in the benefits of the exhaust.

Considering the MBRP right now.
Heartthrob apparently drones in the cab (if I dont hear it in the cab I'm happy)
Solo, didn't like the sound much on YouTube.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F250
Long story short, it is better left alone on this truck. All you will gain, is an annoying sound. The stock exhaust on these newer trucks are pretty efficient and free flowing as they are. Much improvement over older models.

Videos:
Nathan Airchime K5HA - short burst
Nathan Airchime K5HA - time delay
F150 Exhaust Borla true dual X pipe
Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Check and see if Corsa has started making a no drone exhaust for the ecoboost. I had them on my Mustang GT excellent exhaust and NO drone.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2011 Ford F150 FX4
Since I just went thru this I will share what I know.
Being from the great north,and a smaller center sort of limits availability of stuff but in the past I've put FloPro exhausts on my V8s and liked them.
Performance shop here had a 4" cat back system for the EB so I thought what the heck....a year of living with my EB wanted to change something.
Kept stock system just in case.
So on it went.
Must increase air flow cause truck acted goofy for a while then ran good.
It's a frickin loud system,with a lot of drone,especially above 2000rpm.No way on earth I am going to pull a trailer with this.So back to shop looking to put a resonator on to get rid of drone.He has a Flo Pro part he thinks wil do the trick,on it went.
Initially I was disappointed in the result,thought it quieted down the exhaust note too much....but did get rid of drone.
Decided to make a video of it to see how it sounds and was pleasantly surprised at it(I'll post vid when I get to my computer)
After driving a month with the extremely loud system made the resonator system seem quiet,which it really wasn't.
Long story short....I wouldn't even think about a system without a resonator in it.
People are going to have to accept that the sound the EB makes is going to be unique..if you want V8 sound buy a V8.
People have said mine sounds almost mini diesel ish....I'm good with that.
As far as performance goes the dyno says they make a difference,I think it holds gears even longer and has more snap....but whatever.
I wanted a bit of exhaust note,added performance is a bonus .
Leave it stock unless you are willing to tinker a bit and accept it will make noise different than anything out there.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Old 12-14-2012, 10:14 AM
2006 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2006 ford f 150
Nice. Is that with the resonator or without?
315/70/17 Falken Wild Peaks on 17x8 vtec raptors, K&n intake, 3 inch si/so dynomax bullet exhaust with 4 inch tip, diablosport programmer, 2 inch autospring level, rear airbags, tinted windows, bedliner spray bumpers, black headlights, black billet grill, 4.56 yukon gears.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
IR0NS1N
Send a message via AIM to IR0NS1N Send a message via MSN to IR0NS1N
From what I've seen, Intakes and Exhaust dont do much on the Ecoboost. Put a livernois tune on it and be done.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybizzle View Post
Nice. Is that with the resonator or without?
With a resonator.
Without was way too much drone for me
Old 12-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2008 ford f150
gearz tv did a heart throb exaust swap to 4 in pipe and per heart throb dyno gained 50hp just from exaust no tune. The exaust on the ecoboost is pretty much the same on the none ecoboost, any turbo or super charged motor will deffinetly have improvements from stock exaust , especially since its the same exaust as the non turbo motors.

2 in AS level kit, goodyear duratrac 295/70/18, volant cai with power core filter, flow master 50 series delta flow muffler. Aries bull bar. Line-x bed liner, aries bull bar.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:27 PM