Ecoboost Exhaust Benefits vs Sound...

Old 12-03-2012, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecoboost Exhaust Benefits vs Sound...

I just bought a 2013 Ecoboost. I've pretty much always heard/been told that supercharged and turbocharged engines benefit from less restrictive exhaust systems. So I have a few questions:

1) Is there an actual/measurable benefit to a 3" or 4" exhaust system on an Ecoboost truck in daily driving/towing. I dont care about 5700rpm Dyno figures the manufacturers post up.

2) Is there a system (if 1 is true) that sounds OK, but does not resonate and is not overly loud? I've heard some exhaust videos but to me they are just a deep sounding V6...still sounds like a V6, no where near the sound of a V8. Im not trying to find exhaust that tries to make the truck sound like something it is not. I'm more interested in the benefits of the exhaust.

Considering the MBRP right now.
Heartthrob apparently drones in the cab (if I dont hear it in the cab I'm happy)
Solo, didn't like the sound much on YouTube.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Long story short, it is better left alone on this truck. All you will gain, is an annoying sound. The stock exhaust on these newer trucks are pretty efficient and free flowing as they are. Much improvement over older models.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Check and see if Corsa has started making a no drone exhaust for the ecoboost. I had them on my Mustang GT excellent exhaust and NO drone.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Since I just went thru this I will share what I know.
Being from the great north,and a smaller center sort of limits availability of stuff but in the past I've put FloPro exhausts on my V8s and liked them.
Performance shop here had a 4" cat back system for the EB so I thought what the heck....a year of living with my EB wanted to change something.
Kept stock system just in case.
So on it went.
Must increase air flow cause truck acted goofy for a while then ran good.
It's a frickin loud system,with a lot of drone,especially above 2000rpm.No way on earth I am going to pull a trailer with this.So back to shop looking to put a resonator on to get rid of drone.He has a Flo Pro part he thinks wil do the trick,on it went.
Initially I was disappointed in the result,thought it quieted down the exhaust note too much....but did get rid of drone.
Decided to make a video of it to see how it sounds and was pleasantly surprised at it(I'll post vid when I get to my computer)
After driving a month with the extremely loud system made the resonator system seem quiet,which it really wasn't.
Long story short....I wouldn't even think about a system without a resonator in it.
People are going to have to accept that the sound the EB makes is going to be unique..if you want V8 sound buy a V8.
People have said mine sounds almost mini diesel ish....I'm good with that.
As far as performance goes the dyno says they make a difference,I think it holds gears even longer and has more snap....but whatever.
I wanted a bit of exhaust note,added performance is a bonus .
Leave it stock unless you are willing to tinker a bit and accept it will make noise different than anything out there.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Old 12-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Nice. Is that with the resonator or without?

Old 12-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I've seen, Intakes and Exhaust dont do much on the Ecoboost. Put a livernois tune on it and be done.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by jerrybizzle
Nice. Is that with the resonator or without?
With a resonator.
Without was way too much drone for me

Old 12-14-2012, 09:27 PM
gearz tv did a heart throb exaust swap to 4 in pipe and per heart throb dyno gained 50hp just from exaust no tune. The exaust on the ecoboost is pretty much the same on the none ecoboost, any turbo or super charged motor will deffinetly have improvements from stock exaust , especially since its the same exaust as the non turbo motors.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:00 PM
2012 FX4 Ecoboost

I just installed the Diamond eye ss 4" system and it is so freaken loud and sounds like a Honda Civic! The exhaust shop recommend the flo-pro twister resonator to help with the noise and power loss, I lost low end torque. Has anyone used the resonator if so how's the sound and power? Considering just putting OE back on...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ecoboost Exhaust Benefits vs Sound...