5.4 Exhaust Manifold Ticking Knocking Solved

Old 10-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 Exhaust Manifold Ticking Knocking Solved

Fellas just wanted to share something with you on my 2009 SC King Ranch with the 5.4 engine. Truck has 59K on it and in the last month developed a knocking in the passenger side valve bank. I checked it thinking it may be the phazer issue (I had them replaced on my 2004 Lariat and it solved the problem). This was a little different as it was loud on startup and then would go away while idling. Once I began driving it became worse especially under load. Still sounded like the valves. Took it into my dealer and they couldn't find it at first but, narrowed it down to the exhaust. They pulled the passenger side exhaust manifold and found it was warped pretty bad. Apparently it came from factory that way and began leaking at around 55K miles. Can't tell you how happy I was to finally have it solved. I know there's alot of threads already on the ticking issue, but the sound was very much like the dieseling I had on 2004 Lariat with the 5.4 phazer issue. I've gotten alot of help on this site over the years and hopefully this helps someone else out. Cheers!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The newer they get the cruddier the manifolds get it seems. My passenger side manifold does the same. Only difference is I don't have a warranty, and want to replace with longtube headers. Till then I deal with it.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:54 PM
My 04 FX4 has the ticking but I think it may be a lifter. When cold it does not make the sound but once it is warmed up you can hear it ticking at idle easily. I really don't think mine is exhaust or intake. Any idea's?????

Old 10-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ That engine is an over head cam engine. It doesn't have lifters.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by jmichaels046
My 04 FX4 has the ticking but I think it may be a lifter. When cold it does not make the sound but once it is warmed up you can hear it ticking at idle easily. I really don't think mine is exhaust or intake. Any idea's?????
Maybe you are hearing the injectors opening and closing. They make a light ticking noise at the top of the engine. It's normal.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:26 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Originally Posted by avfrog
^ That engine is an over head cam engine. It doesn't have lifters.

However, it does have hydraulic cam followers, which WILL tick if they collapse.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by millman11
Fellas just wanted to share something with you on my 2009 SC King Ranch with the 5.4 engine. Truck has 59K on it and in the last month developed a knocking in the passenger side valve bank. I checked it thinking it may be the phazer issue (I had them replaced on my 2004 Lariat and it solved the problem). This was a little different as it was loud on startup and then would go away while idling. Once I began driving it became worse especially under load. Still sounded like the valves. Took it into my dealer and they couldn't find it at first but, narrowed it down to the exhaust. They pulled the passenger side exhaust manifold and found it was warped pretty bad. Apparently it came from factory that way and began leaking at around 55K miles. Can't tell you how happy I was to finally have it solved. I know there's alot of threads already on the ticking issue, but the sound was very much like the dieseling I had on 2004 Lariat with the 5.4 phazer issue. I've gotten alot of help on this site over the years and hopefully this helps someone else out. Cheers!

I have the same symptoms you were having and I was thinking that it was the cam phaser issue but someone also mention that I should get the exhaust checked, if you don't mind me asking what did the dealer charge you to fix it if it wasn't under warranty.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by pmason718
I have the same symptoms you were having and I was thinking that it was the cam phaser issue but someone also mention that I should get the exhaust checked, if you don't mind me asking what did the dealer charge you to fix it if it wasn't under warranty.
I have the same problem ........... one shop says the manifold is warped while the other says its cracked. Either way it a $1000\$1200 bill here as they cannot predict how many bolts will break replacing the manifold.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:29 AM
I just got back from the Exhaust shop, as I thought I devoleped an exhaust leak..

They said they didn't find any issues with the exhaust, only a cracked bolt on the manifold.

They said they don't think they can easily get to it. Minimum would be $500 in labor if they can get to it. but if not talking $1700 plus in labor to pull pass side of engine..

Does that sound right? I mean I wouldn't let an exhaust shop pull off my supercharger or anything like that... But when you guys got yours done, did they have to pull off the top part of engine to get to it. Or were they feeding me crap?

Old 11-10-2012, 01:40 PM
I've put 3 sets of headers on trucks. I put OBX long tubes on mine for power, tried to put OBX shorties on a 4wd but they didnt come close to fitting so ended up with JBA shorties on that truck as it has a warped manifold, and put another set of JBA shorties on a 2wd for again a warped manifold. All were 5.4 3v trucks. Its a pain to install but not to horrible. I take both front tires off and take the wheel well linings out and you can get to most the bolts fairly well. I think for the customer trucks I did the shorties on I got paid like 8 hours or so? Its not cheap especially when you add in the cost of the headers. None of the headers required me to take anything off the top of the motor. I did them all from the side and bottom. You have to take the starter out and jack up the passanger side of the motor to get the manifold out and header in.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:18 PM
It cost me 1200 to have my OBX longtube headers installed. They figured 10 hours @ $100/hr, an O2 sensor, and a pipe needed to be extended to hook up to the Magnaflow exhaust on my Expedition. I had 2 broken studs prior to the dealer working on my truck, not sure how many more they snapped, but I sprayed them with PB Blaster for 2 weeks before taking it in.

Kinda shocked at the price, but it was worth it knowing everything is taken care of... I was told it would have been more had I decided to put a new manifold on the passenger side! More vroom, more power, and hopefully more MPG's too!

Old 11-18-2012, 11:43 PM
Yeah, I just got back from the Ford dealership yesterday. Had to get a quote from them. They were much less.

They said $570.97 if they just replaced the gaskets and studs and no studs broke

$843.38 if they had to replace manifold, gasket, studs, with none breaking

and $1,323.38 if they had to replace manifold, gasket, studs and all 8 broke.

I think he said $60 an hour is what they charge for broken ones..

Also quoted me at $499 to change spark plugs + $60 an hour on broken ones..

Does that all sound reasonable?

Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
all the more reason to install long tubes

Old 06-18-2013, 08:32 PM
2010 f350 xlt 5.4

three days in the dealer to replace pass side exhaust manifold. 48,000 miles started leaking. lucky for me I bought the extended warranty would have been $1200. job. they broke three studs. had to lift motor to get to it. Mngr said that is common issue with the 5.4 around 50,000 miles. ended up being warped.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:16 PM
I replaced mine last week both sides only costing me $220 for the dorman manifold and a few extra bolts. drivers side is piece of cake passanger side has to be lifted as high as you can get it. Don't even remove the starter, just jack it up untill hoses are streched and you can get to them. Good luck and save your money at a dealer. You can do this job. Now on to the steering shaft sticking problem for me. Might even change both vct solinoids.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.4 Exhaust Manifold Ticking Knocking Solved