5.4 Exhaust Manifold Ticking Knocking Solved

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shanks12
Yeah, I just got back from the Ford dealership yesterday. Had to get a quote from them. They were much less.

They said $570.97 if they just replaced the gaskets and studs and no studs broke

$843.38 if they had to replace manifold, gasket, studs, with none breaking

and $1,323.38 if they had to replace manifold, gasket, studs and all 8 broke.

I think he said $60 an hour is what they charge for broken ones..

Also quoted me at $499 to change spark plugs + $60 an hour on broken ones..

Does that all sound reasonable?
You can do your plugs alot cheaper than that, if you have Lisle 65600 tool. and also clean your maf and clean yuor throttle body, change oil, change fuel filter and check the foam going around your air filter door box. They are known to leak. I done all of this plus change belt , 2 idler pulleys and the tensioner pulley for $300 good luck. All of this done in less the 6 hours even with the 2 broken plugs. We broke very first plug then desided to us air gun. It brought everyone we could get it on out in tack. The back drivers side we couldn't get to so we put rachet on it and it broke. But the lisle 65600 made small work of it.The tool is a must.

Last edited by crossbone; 06-19-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:55 AM
My 04 FX4 with 102k miles has developed a pretty noticeable ticking sound upon start up and under hard acceleration. I'm fairly certain it's exhaust leak but haven't brought it in anywhere to get it checked out. I really need some sound advice on what steps I should take!! Here's what I would LIKE to do, replace both OEM manifolds with a header setup (maybe stainless steel as I live in Mn. and they salt the roads heavily during winter). A friend and co-worker highly suggested ceramic coated headers but from what I'm reading that coating may not hold up to the corrosive road salt. I'm willing to pay the extra $$ for SST or ceramic because I plan on keeping the truck for quite a few more years to come (it's paid for and still looks great, thanks to my non-stop washing and detailing habits). Any and all suggestions all welcomed. I wasn't sure if should have created a new thread or just jump into this one, sorry if I chose the wrong route!

Thanks again!

John

Old 07-27-2013, 11:50 PM
My 2010 (5.4 3V) developed a ticking sound at startup for a few seconds, but would go away, however the leak was apparent when towing and driving next to a wall (sound reflected). Passenger exhaust manifold was warped about 1/8" on the rear cylinder. Luckily, it didn't torch the head, so I had it replaced with a Dorman. Engine had to be jacked up to replace the RH manifold.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Talking No more ticking sound....

My 2008 (5.4 3V) does the same....ticking sound at startup and under normal acceleration! Today we have change both Manifolds. I have buy the Gibson GP218S Headers....(Passenger Side make us angry...puhhhhhh)

NO MORE TICKING SOUND !!!

Also buy the Borla Cat-Back Exhaust 140137. Fantastic Sound,divinely more Power.....

@Mike from 5-Star-Tuning.....thanks for your help with SCT-Software....
that "Rock´s the Autobahn".......

Old 01-25-2016, 06:59 PM
2007 5.4 Triton. Motors a piece of **** I tell you! Lol. Had phaser issues replaced both of them realized the chain guides were busted so I replaced the whole timing kit and all 8 injectors... ran quiet again but As soon as I did that This thing starts up now like there's no oil in it for about 3-4 secs then runs smooth....well it did for a while now it sounds like a quiet knock almost . I thought maybe I had a bad oil pump. I give UP! Now im hearing you guys talk about a manifold???? I'd rather just get a jasper and some new headers and call it a few years.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:17 PM
Had a similar noise, it was ticking when I would start it up cold. Worst with choke on, then it would fade out. Notice it more when I'd give it gas. Ended up being a loose spark-plug. This was in a 2007 5.4 F-150.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:32 PM
I took my 04 to a muffler shop and they replaced the manifold and 3 studs. They deleted the Ford gasket cause it was aluminum and the main problem of the cracking manifold. They used exhaust hi temp rtv sealant. $278 at professional muffler. It's been fine the last 5 years.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by gnardo73
I took my 04 to a muffler shop and they replaced the manifold and 3 studs. They deleted the Ford gasket cause it was aluminum and the main problem of the cracking manifold. They used exhaust hi temp rtv sealant. $278 at professional muffler. It's been fine the last 5 years.
How was it ticking? Mine doesn't tick until it warms up to operating temperature. Also while driving at certain throttle positions i hear like a bog down exhausts sound.

Quick Reply: 5.4 Exhaust Manifold Ticking Knocking Solved