Borla Muffler Part# 400436 users only!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borla Muffler Part# 400436 users only!

Is anyone currently running this muffler and how does it sound?

I am still confused as to what muffler to buy. Borla says that this is the muffler they recommend for the 2011 F150 5.0

But I am also interested in the ProXS SIDO (3" in w/ dual 2.5" out).

Finding the right muffler is like walking in the Cheesecake Factory and finding what you want to eat off the menu. The menu is to freakin' big with too many choices, and this is how I am feeling about ordering a muffler...ugh! So overwhelming! I'm sure I would be good either way just for the fact that it is Borla, but just like anybody else....you want to make the right choice the first time.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by rharkcom
Is anyone currently running this muffler and how does it sound?

I am still confused as to what muffler to buy. Borla says that this is the muffler they recommend for the 2011 F150 5.0

But I am also interested in the ProXS SIDO (3" in w/ dual 2.5" out).

Finding the right muffler is like walking in the Cheesecake Factory and finding what you want to eat off the menu. The menu is to freakin' big with too many choices, and this is how I am feeling about ordering a muffler...ugh! So overwhelming! I'm sure I would be good either way just for the fact that it is Borla, but just like anybody else....you want to make the right choice the first time.
I too am waiting for someone to be the test subject with the 400436 muffler. Borla recommends the 400436 muffler for minimal drone.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:11 PM
That muffler is pretty darn big. I would be suprised if it had any drone.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:31 PM
It is a long (round) muffler and I agree about the drone, but I do want a muffler with a little bit of rumble to it. I don't want it obnoxiously loud but I want the growl when I get on it. Not sure if this would give me that or if I should go with the shorter ProXS SI/DO....which is considerably smaller than the stock muffler.

Blue...why don't you go ahead and be that test subject and let me know what you think...ha! I'm to damn indecisive and I am sure both mufflers would sound good...I just don't want any regrets.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:59 PM
It is a long (round) muffler and I agree about the drone, but I do want a muffler with a little bit of rumble to it. I don't want it obnoxiously loud but I want the growl when I get on it. Not sure if this would give me that or if I should go with the shorter ProXS SI/DO....which is considerably smaller than the stock muffler.

Blue...why don't you go ahead and be that test subject and let me know what you think...ha! I'm to damn indecisive and I am sure both mufflers would sound good...I just don't want any regrets.
I was going to recommend the same thing to you, LOL. Magnaflow does make a 6" x 36" round muffler. My only concern with Magnaflow is the drone. I had a 3" Magnaflow Catback with a 5x11x22" muffler on my 2007 SCab with the 4.6L-2V w/2 cats. The 70 mph drone gave me a headache after a few hours on the road.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sido pro xs will be louder and more aggressive. It will sound amazing too.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:01 PM
avfrog,

I know you know your exhaust and wondering if you could look at the link below and tell me what the difference is between the 40349 and the 40474. I see the inlet is different and the muffler itself looks slightly different and the price is considerably different. I guess I could call Borla to see what the difference is but I am just wondering if you happen to know off the top of your head. I won't mind dropping the money for the 40474 if it is a better muffler, but it must do something better than 40349 for that price.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU

Thanks!

Edit: I compared them and see the slight size difference. Anyway, still just not sure why the 40474 is almost 3X as much. Which one would you go with?

Last edited by rharkcom; 12-20-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:14 PM
The 40349 is a 4x9" oval, the 40474 is a 5x10" oval case. The case length is the same, but 5x10 will still be quieter and a little more on the mellow side due to the increased internal volume of the case and packing material.

I like things a little on the aggressive side, so between the 2 options, I would go with 40349 hands down.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the input guys! I am going to order the 40349 Borla. I just hope it isn't to agressive for me. I won't mind the aggressiveness but my wife and kids may.....ha! We will see. I was tempted to go with the 40474 and see how it sounds and if I wanted a little more out of it I could have the resonator removed, change the cats, etc. We will see! Sooooo, Blue07...I will man up and buy first and see how she sounds. I don't know when I am going to get it though so if you make a purchase in the near future keep me posted!

Old 12-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Borla Drone

Thanks for the input guys! I am going to order the 40349 Borla. I just hope it isn't to agressive for me. I won't mind the aggressiveness but my wife and kids may.....ha! We will see. I was tempted to go with the 40474 and see how it sounds and if I wanted a little more out of it I could have the resonator removed, change the cats, etc. We will see! Sooooo, Blue07...I will man up and buy first and see how she sounds. I don't know when I am going to get it though so if you make a purchase in the near future keep me posted!
Hi There,

I have some experience with Borla; however, with another vehicle.

I installed a Borla Classic S-Type cat-back system in my C-5 Corvette and the drone was terrible (almost produced headaches).

I sold the system to a road racer and bought a system from Corsa. The Corsa system did not produce a drone.

Don't know if Corsa has a system for your vehicle; however, I do know (from experience) that Borla can produce a drone.

Best wishes.

Last edited by Dragon Daddy; 12-22-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Forgot some detial.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Any brand of mufflers can have some drone. It comes hand and hand with the louder and more aggressive mufflers. Everybody makes them.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:00 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Dragon Daddy
Hi There,

I have some experience with Borla; however, with another vehicle.

I installed a Borla Classic S-Type cat-back system in my C-5 Corvette and the drone was terrible (almost produced headaches).

I sold the system to a road racer and bought a system from Corsa. The Corsa system did not produce a drone.

Don't know if Corsa has a system for your vehicle; however, I do know (from experience) that Borla can produce a drone.

Best wishes.
The stingers are also some of the loudest mufflers on the market. I bet that sounded amazing

Old 12-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by avfrog
Any brand of mufflers can have some drone.
Except Corsa. Lol

Old 12-23-2011, 12:46 AM

avfrog,

I know you know your exhaust and wondering if you could look at the link below and tell me what the difference is between the 40349 and the 40474. I see the inlet is different and the muffler itself looks slightly different and the price is considerably different. I guess I could call Borla to see what the difference is but I am just wondering if you happen to know off the top of your head. I won't mind dropping the money for the 40474 if it is a better muffler, but it must do something better than 40349 for that price.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU

Thanks!

Edit: I compared them and see the slight size difference. Anyway, still just not sure why the 40474 is almost 3X as much. Which one would you go with?
Originally Posted by avfrog
The 40349 is a 4x9" oval, the 40474 is a 5x10" oval case. The case length is the same, but 5x10 will still be quieter and a little more on the mellow side due to the increased internal volume of the case and packing material.

I like things a little on the aggressive side, so between the 2 options, I would go with 40349 hands down.
Just wanted to follow up on this post here to provide some input as I was looking at both of these when I chose my 40349. Y'all are actually missing the huge difference in the 2. The 40474 is a transverse muffler, meaning it sits sideways (parallel to your bumper and perpendicular to the sides of the vehicle). This wouldn't be used at all in our applications. They're meant for vehicles that require the muffler to be stuffed in a particular location such as some SUV's. If you look at the picture, the end that at first glance appears to be the dual out side, you notice that the diameters are different. The larger diameter is your inlet and the smaller is your outlet. The opening on the opposite end is that same diameter and is your second outlet. Just wanted to clarify. Oh and FYI, I have the 2010 with a 5.4 but you're going to love the 40349. Its awesome!

Old 12-23-2011, 07:14 AM
Russ,

Thanks man....that was some great info! I would have never noticed the difference with 40474 from a picture unless I called Borla myself. I just hope it's not too loud and it has a nice semi-aggressive rumble to it. I don't want my kids sitting in the back seat with their fingers shoved in their ears...ha!

Quick Reply: Borla Muffler Part# 400436 users only!