Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Exhaust & Intake Systems
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 04-04-2011, 03:09 PM
2004 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Best way to find exhaust leak?

Ive got an exhaust leak on my truck and cant seem to figure out where from. The motor and cats were replaced recently. The noise is most noticible when starting the truck with the window open. I would think it would be the exhaust manifold as that should have just been bolted down tight with a new gasket. Plus it doesnt sound like a manifold leak, its not really audible in the cab like manifold leak ive heard. So whats the easiest way to determine the leaks source?

Thanks in advance for any help, i hate an exhaust leak. Makes me feel like im driving a old beater truck
Old 04-04-2011, 05:28 PM
2006 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150 XLT
Look for black marks.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F250
Start the truck cold, and feel around all the seams. You will feel a leak. Black marks will also show.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Yup, black soot marks and with the truck running, have someone place a thick rag/towel over the tailpipe restricting the flow...the sound will pop out (so to speak)

Old 04-05-2011, 05:25 PM
1975 Ford F-100

Vehicle: 1996 Ford f150
Check the bolts on the manifold again. For headers at least, you snug them up after install, drive i little bit and get everything seated, then tighten them down to spec.
F100 In-cab
Old 04-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Hold a piece of pvc pipe or hose up to your ear and move the other end around where you suspect the leak may be.
Drive train Yukon 4.10 gears front and rear, Detroit Truetrac LSD front and rear, Mag-Hytec diff cover - Performance Airforce One 3.5" intake, Magnaflow 94306 high-flow cats, Corsa sport SISO , SCT w/tunes from Troyer, e-fans - Suspension Rancho 4" lift and 9000XL shocks, Toyo 34" (285/75/17) MT on ATX Storm wheels (17x8) - Other Code alarm w/remote start, Line-X in the bed, Bak-Flip G2, Passport SR1 detector, KC Slimlites behind grill
Old 04-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 ford f150
Hook up a shop vac or blower to your exhaust pipe and turn it on. The engine is off. Spray a soapy water around every possible leak point. That's how I found my manifold gasket leaking.
Daystar budget lift
Firestone Air bags
Roush Offroad Exhaust
Old 04-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws12 View Post
Hook up a shop vac or blower to your exhaust pipe and turn it on. The engine is off. Spray a soapy water around every possible leak point. That's how I found my manifold gasket leaking.
Smart guy

That's what works best. I use compressed air myself @ about 15-20 lbs, - only because I have the fitting reducer for the tailpipe. I know those Rigid shop vacs will plug right tho lol.

Yep, soapy water on the seams reveals all.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:47 AM
2000 Ford F-150

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew View Post
Smart guy

That's what works best. I use compressed air myself @ about 15-20 lbs, - only because I have the fitting reducer for the tailpipe. I know those Rigid shop vacs will plug right tho lol.

Yep, soapy water on the seams reveals all.
I'm suspecting a small exhaust leak, because after driving a while with blower on Low I'm getting a headache. With blower on High it doesn't bother me. My passenger side manifold has bolts into the head instead of studs and nuts, so it appears someone had some problems with it at some point. I can't hear any obvious puffing. I tried feeling around the manifold with the truck running, and I think I can feel a small leak, but it's hard to tell with all the air flow in that area with the fan running. I tried testing the air for CO with a battery powered home CO monitor, but it didn't show any reading above zero, so apparently it isn't really bad.

jbrew - Where did you get the fitting to connect the compressed air to the tailpipe? This seems like a good way to get the exhaust system pressurized. Also, I have a dual exhaust - any good way to plug the other side? I was thinking of using a big sponge with a plastic bag wrapped around it.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:47 AM