07 intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 intake

Has anybody done a homemade intake. I have an 07 with the 5.4 and want to replace that dumb looking tube with something that has less restrictions. I don't have the cash to go with a CIA. I was thinking for fabricating something out of 4" ABS and a better air filter.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:22 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by AnvilWhacker
Has anybody done a homemade intake. I have an 07 with the 5.4 and want to replace that dumb looking tube with something that has less restrictions. I don't have the cash to go with a CIA. I was thinking for fabricating something out of 4" ABS and a better air filter.

welcome, since you're a couple years behind the power curve, I'l let you check out the "Gotts intake mod" and read the "how to" article

Old 03-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Search fail lol

Old 03-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
He's new - cut him some slack, ya redneck *********

He's also from Ontario - hence is likely better ed-u-ma-cated than y'all

OP - look in here: https://www.f150online.com/forums/articles-how-tos-119/

BTW - that OEM intake is 'ugly' for a reason - not recommended to replace it all. You have a hood to cover the engine compartment, eh?

As for filtration - you'd be hard-pressed to improve upon the OEM paper element. The only thing I would consider is an Amsoil EA nanofiber element, to complement the Gotts modification. NOT a POS K&N or any other oiled crappola.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-05-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by camopaint0707
Search fail lol

vvv --- that's not a search fail - THIS is search fail --- vvv

Originally Posted by camopaint0707
yeah I couldn't find much information about them searching or in the stickys and because of my budget I'm limited to only those
... yep - only 10,000+ posts on this topic (programmers) ... no wonder you couldn't find any info...

And ... fer chits&giggles, another one: https://www.f150online.com/forums/3999001-post17.html

Wow - you be the Search Fail King there, bro ... you sure told him, eh?

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-05-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yep....
Follow the link that MGDfan posted for you....
Welcome to the site...
Have a good one eh...

Old 03-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Gentlemen...should I use that term loosely? Thanks for the welcome to the forum, and yes, I am behind the power curve, only due to the fact that I just got rid of a 99 and bought this 07. Some of the postings gave me a good chuckle. Thanks for the input. I may be a newbee here, but no stranger to messin' with a vehicle. MDGfan...appreciate the "ed-u-ma-cated" comment. Last week I couldn't spell mekanic...now I are one. I will be checking out the links that are listed. Thanks guys. I'm looking to improve my mileage a bit by making 'er breath a little better. Just have to work on the "Hen-of-the-house-", as she really didn't like how aggresive I went with the exhaust on the old truck. I liked it until I stuck a new 4700lbs (empty) travel trailer behind it. OMG...it was rather rude bringing it home. MDGfan, why do you say not recommended to remove it? Thanks again gents.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Gentlemen...should I use that term loosely? Thanks for the welcome to the forum, and yes, I am behind the power curve, only due to the fact that I just got rid of a 99 and bought this 07. Some of the postings gave me a good chuckle. Thanks for the input. I may be a newbee here, but no stranger to messin' with a vehicle. MDGfan...appreciate the "ed-u-ma-cated" comment. Last week I couldn't spell mekanic...now I are one. I will be checking out the links that are listed. Thanks guys. I'm looking to improve my mileage a bit by making 'er breath a little better. Just have to work on the "Hen-of-the-house-", as she really didn't like how aggresive I went with the exhaust on the old truck. I liked it until I stuck a new 4700lbs (empty) travel trailer behind it. OMG...it was rather rude bringing it home. MDGfan, why do you say not recommended to remove it? Thanks again gents.
Hey.

My comment was a reference to the EXTREME sensitivity of the OEM intake, with respect to the MAF sensor location. Unlike your old truck, the new one relies on the geometry of the intake to ensure the MAF is accurate. Replacing the airbox and tubing will compromise this - incurring a potential lean condition.

Additionally - the OEM intake & filter flows well enough for the stock engine's needs, is quiet, and ... already exists ( free). The Gotts will suffice.

Focus elsewhere - custom tuning will supply real gains. See sig.

MGD

Old 03-07-2011, 08:34 PM
I was wondering if that might be an issue. Took me a while to find the MAF. Didn't necessarily want to replace the whole thing, and I know I stated this incorrectly in my first post. What I really want to do is change out the tube at the fender to remove the restriction. I did this on my 99, with a better air filter, also removed the silencer tube from inside the big elbow and got 2 mpg more. I was just hoping to improve it a bit as my highway mileage is lower than the stated city. I do realize that the stated mileage is also under "perfect conditions" Ha! Mileage listed for the truck is 18 city, 23 highway. I have yet to see 18 highway. I also have the 3:73 rear end which likely doesn't help but is one of the reasons for buying this truck - tow package. The set up that JackandJanet did is simple and I would think, not be too intrusive to the MAF. Looking for opinions please...that's why we're here isn't it? To get opinons and info, and as intelligent beings make our own decisions.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:06 AM
I was wondering if that might be an issue. Took me a while to find the MAF. Didn't necessarily want to replace the whole thing, and I know I stated this incorrectly in my first post. What I really want to do is change out the tube at the fender to remove the restriction. I did this on my 99, with a better air filter, also removed the silencer tube from inside the big elbow and got 2 mpg more. I was just hoping to improve it a bit as my highway mileage is lower than the stated city. I do realize that the stated mileage is also under "perfect conditions" Ha! Mileage listed for the truck is 18 city, 23 highway. I have yet to see 18 highway. I also have the 3:73 rear end which likely doesn't help but is one of the reasons for buying this truck - tow package. The set up that JackandJanet did is simple and I would think, not be too intrusive to the MAF. Looking for opinions please...that's why we're here isn't it? To get opinons and info, and as intelligent beings make our own decisions.
Opinion? Okay.

Yer options:

1. Free (well, okay ...$10) = Gotts Mod, and then just move on.

2. $100-$150 = Airraid MIT ( tube replacement, no airbox change); 'cleaner' engine bay appearance; no perf benefit over Gotts

3. Full-on Washoobi = > $ 2-300; elevated IAT's; requires MAF TF tuning corrections (hence an additional $3-400 for a programmer with this capability - not all are capable of this specific correction); marginal perf benefit - very poor gain/dollar ratio. Total = ~$700+

"Intelligent beings" would simply choose #1.

Graphic enough for you?

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-08-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Well....I'd like to think I'm an intelligent being.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Well....I'd like to think I'm an intelligent being.
Of course!

This one's fer you, then, eh?

MGD

Old 03-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Nice set up!

Quick Reply: 07 intake