So, what about propane?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, what about propane?

Someone help me out please, or point me to some threads where this has already been discussed.

Gas going up fast... I paid $3.40 for real gas yesterday. I personally think it'll be $5 a gallon this summer... we all know why and who. Seems to me that propane will be less effected by events in the ME and by political obstruction to domestic oil production... especially in the short-term if you know what I mean...

So what does it take to convert a truck to propane? Particularly, a '93 F250 with the 4.9l engine?

What are the choices?

What do they cost?

Are there any EPA regulations, etc, involved that might get in the way?

It might cost more than the truck is worth? Okay, how about converting a new truck? (I don't want to buy a new truck just yet but as long as we're on the subject...)

Just askin' for now.

Thanks.

Last edited by Bud_Wilkinson; 02-24-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: spellling
Old 02-24-2011, 12:08 PM
$3.40? That must be nice. I'm up to $3.80 over here.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:42 PM
I paid $3.40 for real gas yesterday
Even the price of imaginary gas is going up. Just kidding, . I hear you on the gas. It's $3.40/gallon here too. In general, at least around here, retail is about $0.80 more than what it is traded on the stock market so it has a way to go yet. I have a little work car that gets about 30 mpg and my truck and its 12 mpg stays parked as much as possible. Thinkin' about getting a Prius and parking my truck almost completely.

But to answer your idea. I don't know about propane but I've heard of people converting their trucks over to run on cooking oil. May only be diesels though. Fast food places happily give away the used oil so they don't have to deal with it.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rllackey28
But to answer your idea. I don't know about propane but I've heard of people converting their trucks over to run on cooking oil. May only be diesels though. Fast food places happily give away the used oil so they don't have to deal with it.
Yeah, those are diesels. I don't think a gas engine would be too happy if you fed it cooking oil.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:39 PM
yeah diesels only can run on cooking oil, gas engines only can be converted to propane. my father owns a propane company and has an 08 f250 that runs on it. i talked to him awhile back about converting my truck but we never went through with it. there are a few companies out there that do it and i think its a few thousand bucks to get it done. also propane burns much much cleaner.

ive talked to mechanics that work on our propane trucks and they say the internals look brand new when they tear them down. you'll get about the same gas milage. the government also has a special deal about it. they give you 50 cents on every gallon you burn since it's considered an alternative fuel. the only problem is filling up for the average person since there's not a propane company on every block.

back when gas prices were up to about $5 a gallon it would have cost us about $1.50 using propane. my father is actually talking about trading his current truck in for a new f250 so i think he will give me the propane kit then. it'll be nice to go 1300 miles between fill ups. oh and roush actually made a propane edition f150 in 07 or 08 i believe if you can find one.

Last edited by dilloncawthon; 02-24-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
Yeah, those are diesels. I don't think a gas engine would be too happy if you fed it cooking oil.
I thought so but wasn't certain so I didn't want to withhold any info. Oh well, I run on either fast food cooking oil or gas according to my wife.

Shoot, I might convert my truck to Propane.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like to know more about this...
But propane around here is just as much as gas??

Old 02-24-2011, 03:49 PM
I just did a quick search and found at gotpropane.com"We do not sell kits for fuel injected cars and trucks. We don't know anyone who does. We specialize in carbureted and non smog/off road vehicles. We also do farm and industrial equipment!"

Old 02-24-2011, 03:50 PM
i did some reading into this few months ago but still maybe wrong. burns alot better than gas same performance and mpg and such. but like mentioned finding a station to fill up maybe a problem, and the conversions i was seeing are like 5-8k. take ALONG time overcome the up front cost. hey oil is down 2.40 now. prolly go up 5 bucks tmrw though lol

Old 02-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Old 02-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
It sounds like it would be more reasonable to have a large storage tank of propane on your property, then just have that filled whenever it starts getting low.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Old 02-24-2011, 04:17 PM
You get about 10% less "mpg" with propane but it burns much cleaner. You would have to drive a lot of miles to recoup your 8K investment in the propane system.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by craneman
I just did a quick search and found at gotpropane.com"We do not sell kits for fuel injected cars and trucks. We don't know anyone who does. We specialize in carbureted and non smog/off road vehicles. We also do farm and industrial equipment!"
they may not but there are several companies that sell kits for fuel injected vehicles.
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
It sounds like it would be more reasonable to have a large storage tank of propane on your property, then just have that filled whenever it starts getting low.
yeah you could do this then just get whomever delivers your propane to fill that tank up also. this is good if you don't live close to a company.
Originally Posted by poolboy1191
I'd like to know more about this...
But propane around here is just as much as gas??
but propane prices drop a lot during the summer time.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Thumbs up propane prices

I live outside the city and we use propane in place of nat gas. You will want to fill up in the summer when propane is cheap and stay away from it in the winter. If you could just get a 500-1000 gal tank and make a way to fill yourself up you'd be set.

Quick Reply: So, what about propane?