Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Exhaust & Intake Systems
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Exhaust & Intake Systems SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 02-24-2011, 04:01 AM
Garage is empty, add now

welding stock exhaust manifolds?

found two small cracks in the stock exhaust manifolds of my 2003 f150 FX4, can they be welded up? i'm just looking for a temporary fix, something to last a year or so until I sell it and get a new truck.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:56 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4
I don't see why not. I've never had to,- just migged exhaust myself. Yea, I don't see why couldn't, if you clean it up well.

On the other hand, Dorman sells replacements pretty cheap. I've seen them for as low as $27 on ebay and from Dorman.

Whatever you do, -replace your trans mount. That's why they snap studs @ the manifold. That exhaust damper is bolted to the mount. When the mount wears out, you get allot of vibration thru the Y. This fatigues the manifold bolts. Most likely why yours is cracked.
Windsor Built 5.4L, E40D, Transgo kit, 9.75 Rear gear, Brembo rotors, Carquest Blue's, Bilstein's, Ported & Polished Intake/TB, Denso Iridium's, Pace setter LTH's, Magnaflow HFC's, Magnaflow 20X9X2.5 HF Muffler, Type 3 19lb Injectors, Volant Intake w/Amsoil EEA191 Filter, 265/17 GY Fortera's.

Compression Testing Procedure
Old 02-24-2011, 05:22 AM
Garage is empty, add now

They are cast iron, they can be welded but not very easy to do. You would need to remove them, heat in an oven and weld while still hot. You would need a "high nickel" rod if stick welding, TIG would be a better bet.

I have had some success braising manifolds, but that is a temporary cure at best.

I would get one from a JY or switch to headers.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:02 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F250
X2 for heads. Welding cast is very difficult, and it won't last.

FYI - I have been welding for quite a few years.

Videos:
Nathan Airchime K5HA - short burst
Nathan Airchime K5HA - time delay
F150 Exhaust Borla true dual X pipe
Old 02-24-2011, 07:02 PM