14" Magnaflow or Flowmaster Super 10???

Old 01-28-2011, 12:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14" Magnaflow or Flowmaster Super 10???

i have a '10 Screw Lariat and im looking for an exhaust upgrade. from what ive seen, there is not much gains in performance with an exhaust upgrade. due to this, im leaning towards just replacing the oem muffler with an aftermarket one and just add stainless exhaust tips. i would like a loud, deep tone but dont want overwhelming drone in the cab (dont mind if there is some as long as its not unbareable). which muffler would you guys recommend? also, if im wrong about cat-back exhausts not being worth the extra money, please post reasons to go with a full cat-back system rather than just a muffler replacement. thank you.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:35 AM
I don't know about magnaflow, but I can tell you my 40 series flowmaster drones pretty bad. I just had the muffler welded in place of the stock muffler. Sounds really good though

Old 01-28-2011, 05:41 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by canadian_screw
I don't know about magnaflow, but I can tell you my 40 series flowmaster drones pretty bad. I just had the muffler welded in place of the stock muffler. Sounds really good though
have the muffler shop move the muffler so it's under the bed...

Old 01-28-2011, 05:47 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by VEECON
i have a '10 Screw Lariat and im looking for an exhaust upgrade. from what ive seen, there is not much gains in performance with an exhaust upgrade. due to this, im leaning towards just replacing the oem muffler with an aftermarket one and just add stainless exhaust tips. i would like a loud, deep tone but dont want overwhelming drone in the cab (dont mind if there is some as long as its not unbareable). which muffler would you guys recommend? also, if im wrong about cat-back exhausts not being worth the extra money, please post reasons to go with a full cat-back system rather than just a muffler replacement. thank you.

there is no performance gain with a cat back swap at the minimal power levels 99% of the people on this forum at at...

I agree if you want a lil' more sound and want to do it cheaply then go have the muffler shop install the muffler of your choice in the stock pipe but I would have them install it so the muffler is under the bed and not under the cab

there's a lot of mganflow humpers on here to you're going to start hearing responses about how you need to install the magnaflow BUT remember it's your truck, you have to listen to it as non one else on here has to drive it so listen to the sound clips carefully and choose wisely on one you'll be happy with

Old 01-28-2011, 06:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Super 10 will be much more noisy inside and out. 14" Magnaflow will be just slightly calmer and deeper toned.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:03 AM
I currently have a flowmaster 44, under my bed, and I have enough drone that I have to turn my stereo up. of course the cab in my 90 doesn't have the "sound proofing" that the newer trucks have. I do have a guy that I work with that has a FM super 10 and rear cats deleted on his 03 5.4 and its insanely loud with plenty of drone to boot. I would opt for the magnaflow under the bed like tarajerame suggested.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Are we talking about an oval body Magnaflow or a round body?

Old 01-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tarajerame
there's a lot of mganflow humpers on here to you're going to start hearing responses about how you need to install the magnaflow BUT remember it's your truck, you have to listen to it as non one else on here has to drive it so listen to the sound clips carefully and choose wisely on one you'll be happy with
^^^ Spoken like a true BORLA humper

OP - fyi:

Originally Posted by JimAllen
In the realm of an otherwise fairly stock truck (i.e. no supercharger, big cams, super custom tune, etc) I don't think you could tell much difference between true duals and a 3-inch single.

In fact, I did some dyno-testing on my '05 F-150HD, stock pipes with a 2.5-inch straight thru muffler added vs a full 3-inch cat back. The muffler change gave 3/4 the performance gain of the full system for about a third the cost. Stick a nice tip on the stock tailpipe for window dressing and you get a great performance/dollar ratio.I was also involved in testing a full header and true dual system vs a cat back (on a GM truck) and we didn't see a gigantic difference between them (except in the cost) with the otherwise stock truck.

Where the dual and x-pipe, or even the 3-inch single, comes in is when you do other mods that increase the VE to the point where you need a lot more exhaust flow. When that happens, it's not so much as gaining from the exhaust mods, it's not losing what you gain by having a restrictive exhaust.

There are some tuning tips to exhaust size and generally, bigger is better for high rpm work but worse for torque down low. You gotta pick your poison. For everyday, a smaller diameter system with no chokes (poor blending, kinks etc) will allow for good torque and economy... with a small cost at the upper end. Everyday low and mid range torque and economy are my two goals. The only time my truck sees high rpms is on the dyno.

I don't think dual or single matters much if the sizing is right, but an X or H pipe is vital to duals.

After my fooling around on the dyno and some calculations (you can calculate exhaust flow in CFM), I'd have long tube headers, free flow cats with 1.5 inch tubes going into 2 inch pipes with mandrel bends, into a good Y, into a mandrel bent 2.5 inch single system with a large chamber straight thru muffler.

MGD

Old 01-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
have the muffler shop move the muffler so it's under the bed...
It is under the bed

Old 01-28-2011, 12:35 PM
I am a true Borla humper and would recommend the single 3" Borla XR-1, part number 40943, to replace the stocker.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by batn68
I am a true Borla humper and would recommend the single 3" Borla XR-1, part number 40943, to replace the stocker.
How loud is your Borla?

Old 01-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by mccart125
How loud is your Borla?
Drive up to Sac and you can hear my Borla/Roush in person.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make that a 14" Borla Pro XS and call it a day!

Old 01-28-2011, 04:30 PM
thanks for the replies so far!

i really like the sound of borla exhausts but i need where i can do dual pipes exiting straight back. im considering doing a side exit but right now im leaning towards rear exit. also, what exhaust tips would you guys recommend? i know there are hundreds but im just looking for suggestions.

i think the flowmaster might be too much, so im leaning towards the magnaflow 14" or one of the borla's.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ The Borla pro xs is also a 14" muffler very similar to the magnflow. The difference is a little more of a "tuned" sound. The magnaflow will get a raspy sound in the high RPM range under heavy throttle, where as the Borla will not. The Borla muffler will maintain that deep smooth growl all the way up. Check out my videos.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 14" Magnaflow or Flowmaster Super 10???