Code p0420 replace cats.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Just a bump here. Jbrew I hope you see this.

I got P0430 a few months ago. A few weeks later I had a shop mess up the plug job on me and had to take it to Ford and they said I had a few fowled plugs and a bad coil. The code stayed off for a little while after, but the write up did say the cat (Bank 2) might have to be replaced due to engine skips. It's a 2004 5.4 3V and I do have 2 94106's in place of the 4 factory which have been on since April 1st of 2010. Do I need to just go ahead and replace the cat or should I have it tested and if so, where?

Also, I have had a 14" maggie si/do since 2009 and have the gotts intake mod and I was running a custom PHP tune which was actually a bad tune it turns out. I was getting pinging at higher rpms (2k+) and I didn't realize what it was for a few thousand miles So I am on the canned 93 performance.

Last edited by TruckGuy24; 02-07-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea, it might be on it's way out. When misfire occurs, the unburned fuel and air mixture is pumped by the exhaust stoke into the catalyst, where it washes over the advanced coating on the catalyst honeycomb. The next blast of hot gas then ignites the mixture, driving up the catalyst temperature by as much as 1400(ºF) and causing a marked deterioration in the catalyst, so that severe catalyst damage can occur very quickly.
That's why, -or it is for this reason that the Fuel rail turns off after only four seconds on starting if the engine has not fired - it prevents unburned fuel being pumped into the exhaust. So, yea, -misfiring forces a freak nasty to occure and your cats take a hit.
There are two types of Misfire - Type A, where a catalyst is considered to be endangered, and Type B, where damage is borderline. Which is in relation to , "low grade misfire" and primary/secondary failure. They all take a swing at the converters, with primary failure (a dead hole) being the hardest on them.

Also, you might want to keep in mind that it was said not to long ago , these catalysts would last the life of the vehicle. -Under normal circumstances of course. Today, replacement catalysts HAVE proved to be more durable, but their service life has decreased. They may last perhaps, six years.

Last edited by jbrew; 02-08-2011 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Tech
Old 02-08-2011, 08:15 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks for that Jbrew... I had to drive it close to 40 miles while it was misfiring. Plus the code was on for a while with no misfire. I think I'm just going to get it replaced

Quick Reply: Code p0420 replace cats.