I need help. No mechanics can figure this out.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help. No mechanics can figure this out.

Hello guys. I have a 2000 f-150. Here lies the problem, please follow closely. After a cold start, and ONLY a cold start, once my truck gets up to about 55-60 mph, it blows white smoke out the exhaust pipe for about 30 seconds, then stops. But, still slightly smokes from the front of the exhaust system and comes up from under the hood. I have been to three or four different guys, and nobody has a clue what this is. They all scratch their heads. Smells awful, like something burning, but all gauges are ok. Leaks oil as well. Any suggestions? I posted this on another forum, and got some real good responses. I'm just trying to see if everyone has the same opinions.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Coolant leak from failing head gasket. It's leaking out of the heads and dripping onto the exhaust manifolds. Check around the heads for wet spots after a drive.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Head gasket

Old 10-23-2010, 02:17 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by avfrog
Head gasket
x2

he's posted this same question on every F150 forum he can find....

and keeps getting the same answers

Old 10-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
x2

he's posted this same question on every F150 forum he can find....

and keeps getting the same answers
Just one other forum actually. But nice try. And if you would have read my OP, I already said I was looking for the same answers to validate the problem. Thanks for the smarta** answer though.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:44 PM
If your mechanics can't figure out what the problem is, you need a new shop, because those guys sound like dumb***es to me.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Ford12508
If your mechanics can't figure out what the problem is, you need a new shop, because those guys sound like dumb***es to me.
x2.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinOB
Just one other forum actually. But nice try. And if you would have read my OP, I already said I was looking for the same answers to validate the problem. Thanks for the smarta** answer though.
So that's how you act AFTER getting what you want. Your a bright one lol.

So. You wanna know the easiest way to fix this problem.

I bet you do.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
So that's how you act AFTER getting what you want. Your a bright one lol.

I bet you do.
lmao Jbrew FTW

deff sounds like a head gasket. do a compression test on each cyl and see what side its on.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by shifty_85
lmao Jbrew FTW

deff sounds like a head gasket. do a compression test on each cyl and see what side its on.
Actually, - it's just an intake gasket @ the front water jackets, - flooding the exhaust valve chamber, - but it will lead to further problems, - if it hasn't already. The V8's are prone to this problem.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
so that's how you act after getting what you want. Your a bright one lol.

I bet you do.
haha

Old 10-24-2010, 01:00 AM
Idiot Mechanics

.....If your blowing blue smoke...oil
.....If your blowing white smoke....coolant (or its really effing cold outside )

There is a test that you can do to check if exhaust is in the coolant. I forgot what it was called but if there is exhaust contamination in your coolant resevoir aka HEAD GASKET LEAK, then this certain liquid will turn a very specific color.

and FYI there is a kind of coating or protective layer on your engine bearings and coolant will destroy it and the bearings.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by ParnAZ
.....If your blowing blue smoke...oil
.....If your blowing white smoke....coolant (or its really effing cold outside )
Not only that, but yea revolves around weather, condensation and burn off, short trips, high idle times (specially in cooler weather). Exhaust systems can contain about 1 gallon of water/sweat when conditions are met. Moisture builds quick within high idle times in cooler weather. It will hang around until you put the coals to it lol.
Originally Posted by ParnAZ
There is a test that you can do to check if exhaust is in the coolant. I forgot what it was called but if there is exhaust contamination in your coolant resevoir aka HEAD GASKET LEAK, then this certain liquid will turn a very specific color.
That's a Blue solution you set up like an IV into the degas tank/coolant tank. Blue liquid will turn yellow within a couple minutes, - if there are exhaust gasses present in the tank indicating a leak/contamination of some kind. But you have to run this test in steps for a complete determination.
That's one way, but really, -if you bring her up to operating temps, get under the hood and rev her up a few times while watching the degas tank, -if the gasket is leaking you'll see a false boil inside the tank. False boil looks like your coolant is boiling, but in reality,- it's exhaust gasses working their way out of the system. You look for bubbles to be blunt I guess. Check the oil for contamination as well.

Anyway, you should explore other areas as mentioned earlier in this thread and in the link with Dynotechs post below.

Post # 3 (Dynotech) - https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...ad-gasket.html

This should be in the engine forum lol.

Last edited by jbrew; 10-24-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow. Welcome to the Internet.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: I need help. No mechanics can figure this out.