Catalytic Converter(s) Stolen

Old 09-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
platinum

Old 08-19-2014, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cats

Originally Posted by durant113
We recently returned home from vacation and discovered that our street had been swept through by some lowlife with a sawzall. He cut the catalytic converters off of my 2010 F-150, wifes's nissan maxima, and my Chevy 2500HD work truck. Too bad we decided to take my old old car from college to the airport or he would have gotten that too. Several neighbors had the same thing in addition to busted out windows.
Question is what to do now about my F-150. Do I have to put the Cat back on? I was thinking of a Banks single exhaust anyway but don't know if a muffler shop will put one on with out the converter. Just looking for ideas since now might be the time to upgrade. I think our insurance is going to cover the damages but as we just returned home yesterday I am still looking into it. Maybe we should just build a bigger garage instead...
So did you figure somthing out. Has anyone got rid of the cats on a 09 or newer? Does it cause issues with performance. I know it did on my 07 galant but don't know about my truck. I have that horrible exhaust leak issue at 90k for exhaust manifold and I think my cats are plugged causing the issue. And how expensive they are to replace I'd rather hollow them out

Old 08-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Breakingfords
So did you figure somthing out. Has anyone got rid of the cats on a 09 or newer? Does it cause issues with performance. I know it did on my 07 galant but don't know about my truck. I have that horrible exhaust leak issue at 90k for exhaust manifold and I think my cats are plugged causing the issue. And how expensive they are to replace I'd rather hollow them out
By FEDERAL law, you can not Remove/Delete the converters, & if they are stolen You have to replace them.
If the Vehical is Under 8 years old & has less then 80,000 miles on Odometer, the converters must be Factory units or the EPA warranty, & most Factory Drive-Train warranties are VOID!
If your converters are clogged up, then there is an Underlying Issue with the Engine or Engine Management System/ Components that caused the failure of the converter/s.
Removing the converters will only give you the Illusion of a Performance Gain!

Cost of replacement depends on where you live, & the number of converters on your specific vehical. In my area, with a truck that I can install aftermarket units, & has One converter per-side, the replacement cost is in the area of $350.00 usd. EACH.

Hope this was of some help?

Old 08-22-2014, 01:35 PM
I wish someone would steal my drivers side cat...it has been bad for 3 years!

Here in CA there are no legal aftermarkets available...dealer is $2400...I have a
$ 50 deductable...

Also wish someone would bash in my rear power sliding window...it quit working a few months back!

Regards!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter(s) Stolen