tuner with spectre for 2000 5.4?

Old 02-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tuner with spectre for 2000 5.4?

I was thinking about getting a spectre CAI for my 2000 5.4. Will i need a tuner before so i dont screw the engine? Thanks

Old 02-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon56
I was thinking about getting a spectre CAI for my 2000 5.4. Will i need a tuner before so i dont screw the engine? Thanks
NO you dont need a tuner for the 97-03 models, the lean condition started in 04-05. You will be fine, if you get a tuner with custom tunes you will get the most out of the cold air intake. i got a spectre intake and love it.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:02 PM
woooooo, thats a monkey off my back, thanks man, im definitely going for it then

Old 03-26-2015, 08:06 PM
Hey guys,

New to the forum, first off. So don't mind my noobness.

Second, I own a '99 5.4 with a Spectre CAI. I haven't thrown anything yet according to my factory computer but I won't lie, I'm slightly concerned. Mainly because of all of the issues I've been reading about. You sure that running without a tuner would be fine?

And if I were to get a tuner, who would you guys recommend? I'm leaning toward SCT but don't think they will have a tune for the Spectre CAI. What are your thoughts? Preciate it guys.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:36 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoonigan
Hey guys,

New to the forum, first off. So don't mind my noobness.

Second, I own a '99 5.4 with a Spectre CAI. I haven't thrown anything yet according to my factory computer but I won't lie, I'm slightly concerned. Mainly because of all of the issues I've been reading about. You sure that running without a tuner would be fine?

And if I were to get a tuner, who would you guys recommend? I'm leaning toward SCT but don't think they will have a tune for the Spectre CAI. What are your thoughts? Preciate it guys.
for starters nice hijack

secondly, what "issues"?

there's a whole "how to" when it comes to deciding on a tuning device you ought to read, and no a canned tune is not the way to go

Old 03-27-2015, 03:25 PM
Issues like running lean. Ultimately, that's what I'm trying to prevent.

I've done some, but not enough, research into tuning. I'm looking for somewhere to start and push me into the right direction for the mods that I've done to my truck.

And are you suggesting that SCT would not be the way to go or that I should purchase the tuner and a custom tune from them rather than just running the canned tunes?

Old 03-28-2015, 02:30 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoonigan
Issues like running lean. Ultimately, that's what I'm trying to prevent.

I've done some, but not enough, research into tuning. I'm looking for somewhere to start and push me into the right direction for the mods that I've done to my truck.

And are you suggesting that SCT would not be the way to go or that I should purchase the tuner and a custom tune from them rather than just running the canned tunes?
I'm suggesting you figure what trucks had the three valve and what trucks had the two valve motors...

I'm also suggesting a custom tune via an SCT device

Old 03-28-2015, 10:09 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
You have a 2 valve 5.4 and it's unlikely the Specter is causing you to run lean. On the other hand it does almost nothing for performance. A custom tune will make a lot of difference in performance.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:25 AM
MDK
I'm with Bluejay. I'm guilty of it on my previous trucks but you would benefit more from having a tune over any CAI. If you can get a custom one great but JDM, Troyer, and even VMP are pretty good with email tunes. Hell Troyer tuned mine at his place then I went with JDM 5yrs later and they sent me a custom tune, data logged it on the dyno I go to in the local area and JDM was pretty on point.

I'm not one to burst folks bubble but other than a CAI and tune there's not really much room to make these things noticeably faster unless you do forced induction so with that being said maybe save your money. According to your sig it's a 2000 with 216k miles! If that's real then please save your money for maintenance! Don't put new lungs on a dog with a weak heart, it might make it beat faster and die sooner...just saying.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:49 AM
I had a spectre intake on my 2002 for a while but ended up putting the factory intake back on.

The spectre intake kept coming apart if I didn't tighten everything up every 1000 miles or so and it was more trouble than it was worth.

I actually still have it sitting in my garage, if anyone in the DFW Texas area wants it you can come get it for free. It may be missing a part or two that you can get at the auto parts store.

Last edited by ErikShockey; 04-08-2015 at 06:52 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tuner with spectre for 2000 5.4?