AEM CAI engine light problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM CAI engine light problem

I have an 05 F150 FX4 and i installed an AEM brute force CAI about a year ago and have not had any problems until recently. When i really put my foot down the truck will take off as per normal, most of the time. Some of the times however the engine light will begin to flash and the truck wont climb above 4000RPM, and it obviously feels like i have lost power. I took it to the dealership and they said that the engine is receiving too much air, and they wont continue to look into the problem until i put the stock intake back on. The mechanic i spoke to said the aftermarket intakes cause problems, and i think he is full of it, there must clearly be a different problem as i have been running with the CAI for over a year without problems.

Any suggestions? I am thinking of buying a Edge Evolution comp, could this sort the problem out?

Old 01-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your dealer is probably right and the Edge won't help unles you get a custom tune.

Search the board. There are numerous posts discussing the same issue. Here's one link: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...condition.html

Old 01-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
You are running lean. It is a known problem with CAI on 2004 and 2005. You were just lean enough that it did not throw a code, yet, it has been doing some damage. Hopefully it is limited to the spark plugs. The Edge canned tunes are for a stock intake. You need a custom tune to run the CAI.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Hey man i got the same problem your dealership is RIGHT he is not full of it. you need a a programmer that can have custom tunes on it for your CAI i am currently awaiting PHP POWER HUNGRY PERFORMANCE to return to their business as they had a medical emergency to deal with so i can upgrade my edge evo to a gryphon programmer which PHP uploads custom tunes on it like a CAI thats what you need, your truck is running to lean right now it is getting to much air so i recomend putting your stock intake back in untill you get a programmer to stop the engin light, i'm not bothering doing that to my truck cause i only drive it 1 day a week so i'm leaving my CAI in untill i get my edge evo upgraded for custom tunes i hope i helped ya out

Old 01-18-2010, 05:16 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
OP, if you've got your stock intake put it back on until you get a custom tune

a canned tune will make the problem worse

Old 01-18-2010, 05:38 PM
thanks for the advice guys

Quick Reply: AEM CAI engine light problem