k&n problem..

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k&n problem..

the other day i was headed to work and the truck started boggin, bucking and a few other things.. wouldnt go over 50 engine light came on and the intake sounded sooo loud.. so i called ford and explained to them what i felt and heard.. they ended up towing the truck for me.. its a 08 f150 with 15000 on the clock.. they have had the truck for a few days now and they think its the cat, fuel injectors or the maf.. they said that the after market intake might be to blame.. so they wanted to put the stock on and test it again... ive never heard of such thing that a intake would cause this? has anyone had such a problem with theres?

Old 05-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by cgah04
the other day i was headed to work and the truck started boggin, bucking and a few other things.. wouldnt go over 50 engine light came on and the intake sounded sooo loud.. so i called ford and explained to them what i felt and heard.. they ended up towing the truck for me.. its a 08 f150 with 15000 on the clock.. they have had the truck for a few days now and they think its the cat, fuel injectors or the maf.. they said that the after market intake might be to blame.. so they wanted to put the stock on and test it again... ive never heard of such thing that a intake would cause this? has anyone had such a problem with theres?
I run the K&N drop in filter only, but when you clean them you have to be careful not to spray too much oil on the filter because that will screw up the MAF sensor. Not saying that you did this but it is a common problem with these filter's.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:43 PM
its not the drop in its the i guess they call it the cold air totaly replaces the stock intake.. the last time i cleaned it was about 6tho ago normaly do it every 2 oil changes so it def wasnt bc of oil

Old 05-29-2009, 11:33 PM
get a can of maf cleaner and clean your maf sensor. the slightest amount of oil can cause hell while your driving. if the cats are clogged then you can normally see them glow red(its pretty cool when you see them at night). if it was injectors then it would have to be all of them because if it was only 1 or 2 then it would be misfiring instead of just bogging down. same thing for the cats. both cats would have to be clogged to cause it to just bogg. if only 1 is clogged then it would feel like a misfire. the maf is one of the most important sensors for your truck. its probably dirty. and it doesnt matter how long ago it was cleaned, sometimes its a slow process, sometimes it happens right away. just clean the maf.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You cannot run a CAI on a 3v 5.4L. If your trucks a 5.4L your engine may be running really lean, which will start at the MAF, eventually resulting in engine failure.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:07 PM
i dont understand how the intake would cause those promblems.. people run them all the time.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by cgah04
i dont understand how the intake would cause those promblems.. people run them all the time.
with an aftermarket intake, your having more air and cooler air going into the engine. on the 04+ trucks, they cant addapt to them as well. you can be running lean and not know it. the truck may be running at borderline specs and it wont throw a check engine light. i'm not sure if 08+ are still having the problems or not because they did change the tunes for the newer heads and other changes done to the engines. i wouldnt risk it. get your stock intake back on and see what you get. if it doesnt change then clean the maf. and get a custom tune before putting the intake back on. plus without a custom tune your not getting the best results from the intake.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:01 PM
You are cleaning the K&N Filter way too many times. You're not supposed to clean them for 50,000 miles. When I had one for my Jeep, I would clean it every 20,000. Never had a single problem with it that way, and I never got a tuner for it. Your ECU will automatically adjust between the air/fuel mixture automatically.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by RebelOne
You are cleaning the K&N Filter way too many times. You're not supposed to clean them for 50,000 miles. When I had one for my Jeep, I would clean it every 20,000. Never had a single problem with it that way, and I never got a tuner for it. Your ECU will automatically adjust between the air/fuel mixture automatically.
a jeep and a newer ford are totally different. i guess you've never seen any of the threads about the 04+ trucks running lean with aftermarket intakes and stock tunes? the computer will do whatever it can within its power. but it is tuned strictly for the stock intake. thats why i said it may be running at borderline specs which wont throw a cel. sometimes it will throw a cel, everything is gonna react differently, and it depends on the driving conditions and where your driving and the weather/temp and everything will affect it. plus depending on the year and model jeep it was probably speed density instead of maf. and i had to clean my K&N filter twice since i bought it in august. only has 8000 miles on it. depends on where and how you drive. i always drove down a dirt driveway and there were bugs, and dirt and what not in the filter.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:22 PM
My jeep was an 01 grand cherokee with a flowmaster exhaust..i would take it off road all the time and all types of stuff would build on the filter...no problems with anything

Old 05-31-2009, 02:32 PM
My jeep was an 01 grand cherokee with a flowmaster exhaust..i would take it off road all the time and all types of stuff would build on the filter...no problems with anything
yea the 01 grand cherokee was speed density. no maf to contaminate. and those systems werent affected as much by mods as the brand new ones are.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
If you are running lean with an intake, then that is common. How long have you had the intake on? Running "lean" is not a condition that takes long to develop. You should run lean right away.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:10 AM
PLEASE do some research before you go around spouting off information on a subject you obviously have no clue about.

Quick Reply: k&n problem..