minimum legal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
minimum legal?

I want to get the most sound out of my truck and most power but keep it legal. so this is what i was thinking...Long tube headers, into a high flow CAT, and then into a muffler (thinking like flows) and then dumped. true dual.

but where would i put my o2 sensor? does it matter where its at? what sort of power gain would i get out of that?

Old 11-21-2008, 12:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like a good legal system. Leave the O2s where they are, or if your rear cats have the sensors in them, mount them after the hi-flow converters about an inch or so.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:55 PM
ok cool. i guess i will probably do that then. it will be a while though because im gonna do the axle first. how much do headers and hi flow cats cost? i can get the pipe and weld it my self because it wont have any bends so i wont have to worry about paying for labor.

what kind of performance gains will i get from this system?

Old 11-21-2008, 12:59 PM

Depending what LTs you go with, $400 - $1,000 is the common price of LTs. Good stainless LTs from for about $400 - $800, and theres a set by Dynatech ( which is the best LT ) that comes with hi-flow cats for $1200 I believe. Simple universal hi-flow cats will run you $67 - $82 each depending. You should see a good performance gain with this system. The LTs are an instant 20 - 30 h/p and 25 - 35lbs torque, and the true dual exhaust helping it exhale better, much healthier engine.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:07 PM
ok. now what if i dont use high flows...what if i use the stock cats? what will that do? just restrict it and have less power gain?

there is no risk of over heating or anything with the less back pressure right? i dont want to cause other problems.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by willys5555
ok. now what if i dont use high flows...what if i use the stock cats? what will that do? just restrict it and have less power gain?

there is no risk of over heating or anything with the less back pressure right? i dont want to cause other problems.
Yes, OEM cats are not direct flowing, which is better for LTs. Eventually the LTs head would burn out the cats, clogging them, and you needing to replace them further down the road.

No problems at all. Once the LTs are in, you will have a hell of alot more power back.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:20 PM
cool. and my o2 sensors will still work fine and all right? this seems like an easy project that i could do.

now i just need to decided what mufflers to go with. i want it all to sound good but i have a budget. and it sounds like the LTs will hurt my pocket pretty badly.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:51 PM

cool. and my o2 sensors will still work fine and all right? this seems like an easy project that i could do.

now i just need to decided what mufflers to go with. i want it all to sound good but i have a budget. and it sounds like the LTs will hurt my pocket pretty badly.
Yeah the LTs aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for. The front sensors will go directly into the headers, rear cats should be an inch or so behind the hi-flow cats, you'll be alright.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Yeah the LTs aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for. The front sensors will go directly into the headers, rear cats should be an inch or so behind the hi-flow cats, you'll be alright.
wait...so do i have to put the rear cats back on? is that a legal thing or is it important to keep the truck running right? it seems to defeat the purpose of putting hi flow cats on it if you have the regular cat behind it again.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:34 PM
wait...so do i have to put the rear cats back on? is that a legal thing or is it important to keep the truck running right? it seems to defeat the purpose of putting hi flow cats on it if you have the regular cat behind it again.
most places wont replace your 4 cats w/ 2 but it should pass emissions

Old 11-21-2008, 07:45 PM
He meant your rear 02 sensors. Motor-LT's-first pair of o2's-pair of high flows-rear set of o2's-pipe-mufflers-turn downs.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:47 PM
The headers will already have a bung for the first o2's, the cats will bolt up to the header, about an inch after the cats you will weld in another set of o2 bungs. That's all.

PS:
Pacesetter LT's are only $280.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:42 PM

Yeah I made a typo there, the rear SENSORS, not cats They will go behind the hi-flows about an inch or so.

And the only reason I never suggested the $280 Pacesetters is alot of people complain about how little life longitude they offer.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by CountryPunk
He meant your rear 02 sensors. Motor-LT's-first pair of o2's-pair of high flows-rear set of o2's-pipe-mufflers-turn downs.
oh...ok. that makes sense then. Thanks

Old 11-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Yeah I made a typo there, the rear SENSORS, not cats They will go behind the hi-flows about an inch or so.

And the only reason I never suggested the $280 Pacesetters is alot of people complain about how little life longitude they offer.
haha ok thats fine.

and what do you mean the life longitude? like they rust through because of bad metal or something?

Quick Reply: minimum legal?