Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Exhaust & Intake Systems
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Exhaust & Intake Systems SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 08-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 ford f-150
glass pack on 5.4

ok i see the threads on expensive performance exhaust systems, but a friend of mine just had a glass pack and 3" tail pipe put in to replace the stock outfit, and it sounds great, and he said he could notice a big increase in power, and improved gas mileage, for about $60! why would i want to spend $400 on the other systems? is there something i'm missing? his catalytic converters and o2 sensors are still there, just replaced from the muffler back. you guys got any opinions on this?
Old 08-06-2005, 11:28 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F150
A lot of people don't like the sound of glass packs. A muffler would be better for sound and general quality of construction. A single 3 inch exhaust with your muffler of choice won't run more than 200 bucks at an exhaust shop. If you buy a cat back system then you will spend 350-600 bucks depending on what you buy. Another great solution is to keep your stock pipes and have them weld in a performance muffler in place of the stock one. A lot of guys on here have put a Magnaflow on using stock piping for 120-140 bucks with great results. All these options are a little more than glasspacks but they will sound better and last much longer.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Garage is empty, add now

i liked the sound of his. i priced at the muffler shop today, a glass pack and 3" tail pipe put on for $70. will i see a gain in performance and gas mileage by changing just that much, and leaving the cats on? also, any kind of freaky damage to my truck with this simple change? i'm fom another time(carbuerators,points,no electronics..)
Old 08-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
bovineemissions
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.grider
i liked the sound of his. i priced at the muffler shop today, a glass pack and 3" tail pipe put on for $70. will i see a gain in performance and gas mileage by changing just that much, and leaving the cats on? also, any kind of freaky damage to my truck with this simple change? i'm fom another time(carbuerators,points,no electronics..)
In the later model years, it seems that if youre not careful, you can lose some torque if you dont keep some back pressure. I would go with a performance muffler for this reason. But, folks with flowmaster on a 2004+ truck are losing torque with the muffler, and gaining power with a magnaflow which is vitually free flowing and see through.

Longer story short, If i was you, Id get the glasspacks. You have already heard what they will sound like. Plus you like it, and its inexpensive. Also, I think you have already made up your mind, but just need a little nudge. Get the glasspacks and enjoy your truck!

Oh yeah... You might get one or two mpg increase(if you can keep your foot out of it) and a little out of the butt dyno. You shouldnt have to worry bout any damage. Now go get em!
Old 08-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Garage is empty, add now

i think you just costed me $ 70 redneck!
Old 08-09-2005, 10:35 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F-150/ 4.6
If you like the older sound, then i HIGHLY reccomend you try stragiht pipes first....they sound great on these motors. Run true duals off of your converters (no mufflers) ...im 99% sure youll like the sound, and its cheap too because you wont need to buy mufflers. If you dont like it, then weld in glasspacks/mufflers of your choice.

had straights on my 98 4.6 for a couple years now....no probs and sounds great!

1998 F-150. 4.6 auto 3.55 Straight Pipes.
1953 Chevy 3100 half ton all stock. Cherry Red.
Keep on pickin'
Old 08-16-2005, 12:19 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.grider
ok i see the threads on expensive performance exhaust systems, but a friend of mine just had a glass pack and 3" tail pipe put in to replace the stock outfit, and it sounds great, and he said he could notice a big increase in power, and improved gas mileage, for about $60! why would i want to spend $400 on the other systems? is there something i'm missing? his catalytic converters and o2 sensors are still there, just replaced from the muffler back. you guys got any opinions on this?
Glasspacks are so 70's

If you are looking for that sound and are not concerned with installing a properly mandrel bent cat-back like the Magnaflow then I say go for it. If you want what has been thoroughly researched as the best system for our trucks then fork out the dough and buy a magnaflow.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F150
Does anybody have a sound clip? I liked my glasspacks when I had my Fairlane, so I'm more curious than anything.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F150
I'm not saying I'm an expert by any means, I'm totally new to F-150's, but all the talk about not having enough backpressure by putting on a straight-through muffler or glasspack doesn't make a lot of sense to me when I see that my 01 F150's exhaust has already traveled through 4 catalytic converters, then a restrictive y-pipe before it even gets to the 3 ft. long HUMONGOUS factory muffler. I would think it has more than enough backpressure before it even gets to the muffler on these things. But I could certainly be wrong.

That may be why Magnaflow seems to bring the best results.....they're pretty much straight-through designs.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to Faster150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGeorge
Glasspacks are so 70's

+1 or so redneck?? arent they illegal now for noise ordinances
Old 08-25-2005, 11:52 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Two guys I work with have glasspacks on their F-150s and another guy has the magnaflow system. I personally think that the glasspacks sound just as good as the magnaflow. After hearing them both I'm seriously considering the glasspacks for my truck.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F150
So does it sound the same as the magnaflow?
Old 08-30-2005, 10:19 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Faster150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey05
So does it sound the same as the magnaflow?

no not by any means
Old 08-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150
i have just 2 12" glasspacks on my 2002 f150 and it sounds great i love the sound. I have true duals with 2.5 inch pipe running from the headers back and i have 4.5" tips that are 22" long and all my friends that has f150s and other trucks love the sound. ive had 70 series and super 40 series flowmaster and they straight pipes with the glasspacks are a lot better soundin to me.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:51 PM