Single in / single out VS. single in / dual out

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2000, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Single in / single out VS. single in / dual out

I am contemplating the cost differences locall for single in / single out Flowmaster vs. single in / dual out Flowmaster. I can get an FM 40 single in / single out installed for about $110 which includes the price of the muffler. I start getting into the low $300 range if I go with single in / dual out. Is the extra $200 + worth it? Does dual out help that much with performance? Mileage? Sound? Or, should I take that extra $200 and buy an FIPK or superchip?

------------------
-------------------
BigDawg
2000 F-150 SuperCab
5.4L V8
3.31 Gear
No Mods Yet

Old 08-17-2000, 03:24 PM
Sounds like they are trying to use your original tailpipe for the single in/out. I just had my 50 series single in/out replaced with a 40 series single in dual out last week. It sounds much better. I haven't felt any difference in power. The shop ran new duals, installed the muffler, and welded my tips on for $100. I bought the muffler somewhere else.

------------------
'97 Ford F-150 XLT SC, 4x4, Auto, 5.4, 3.55LS, 315/75/16 BFG AT, K&N Filter,
TekStyle Tonneau, Westin Chrome Nerfs, 3" Body Lift, Stull Billet Grill, Kenwood X-711 and Kicker Sub
rmagers@cet.edu
http://www.cet.edu/staff/rmagers/ford.html

[This message has been edited by rmagers (edited 08-17-2000).]

Old 08-17-2000, 03:33 PM
Cool

Your most forward restriction limits everything thereafter. Both setups utilize a single intermediate pipe. You can not flow more later on. Example: if you try to run 2 garden hoses off of one hose with a Y, it will still only flow to the limit of the first single hose. All of the 3" cat backs that I have seen use an adapter, and the factory 2.5" intermediate pipe. Same problem. A big advantage of dual outs is looks. A muffler only is a great choice for the money; 2.5" front to back. If you want a 3" system, the performance aspect calls for a 3" Y-Pipe and intermediate pipe also. 3" systems are not necessary on smaller, unmodified engines. My opinions only, others will differ and are welcomed. I realize that exhaust sytems and oil/filters are a real hot topic of opinion here.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL,RC,LB,5.4,4R70W,3.55LS,
Class III tow/Payload #3/Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS,Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner & gas/wheel/spare locks,
3" cold air box modification, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back,
3" exit Y-pipe, Hellwig rear anti-sway bar.

Old 08-17-2000, 04:25 PM
No way, max,

That's exactly what was rolling around in my head. I'm not sure people go w/the dual outlet 100% for the looks. I think some of them are hoping to get more air flow and aren't sure.

They go to a muffler shop and they are thinking, "best flow." They tell the welder, dual 2.5" outlet. The welder says OK, because 2.5" pipe costs more than 2.25" pipe. If you've got the money and want the dual looks, even w/the 5.4L, 2.5"in/dual 2.25"out is perfect. If you want louder, install some larger echo tips, that's what they're for.

I want to do the dual outlet cause I want it as loud as possible. But for now, I have to just go with a Flomaster 40 2.5'in/2.5" out replacement using as much stock pipe as I can because I'm a cheap ars. Anyhow, just my two cents.

Old 08-18-2000, 01:51 PM
Cool

I just got back from the muffler shop with my new exhaust. It sounds great!!! (Although the shop is only 3 miles from the office, it sounded great in that 3 miles). I decided to go with a FlowMaster 40 series single in / single out, and put a dual slant tip exiting behind the rear passenger tire. It looks good and sounds good. Thanks to all for the advice. More mods to come. Stay tuned.

------------------
BigDawg
2000 F-150 SuperCab
5.4L V8
3.31 Gear
FlowMaster 40 Series

Old 08-18-2000, 01:56 PM
how much?

Old 08-19-2000, 12:55 AM
Red BullSr- Respectfully, I did not say that people go with dual outs "100% for the looks", nor did I mention sound at all. Secondly, I did not recommend what size dual pipes out to use. My best recommendation for exhaust systems is to buy a dyno-tuned, application specific, cat-back system with mandrel bent tubes. My intention was only to inform members that a 2.5" Y-pipe and intermediate pipe is the most forward restriction and limits what comes thereafter; except when science, math, and logic fails.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL,RC,LB,5.4,4R70W,3.55LS,
Class III tow/Payload #3/Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS,Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner & gas/wheel/spare locks,
3" cold air box modification, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back,
3" exit Y-pipe, Hellwig rear anti-sway bar.

Quick Reply: Single in / single out VS. single in / dual out