Excursion--wanders - F150online Forums

Log In 

Excursion

Excursion--wanders

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2
Red face Excursion--wanders

We just installed new ball joints on the left side. new tires, aligned it and it wants to wander all over the road. It feels like it pulls one way and any correction on the steering wheel is to much and than it'll wander the other way. Has anyone ran into this problem with their Ford??
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-06-2007, 12:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: St. Charles, MO
Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-250 7.3
Posts: 5,843
Possibly they messed something up in the process... Does it feel like the steering wheel is loose? It could just mean that your steering box needs to be tightened...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2
Question Excursion wanders

We tried to adjust the steering box but it didn't help. We're going to put in a different balljoint in the left upper just tomake sure it's not a defective one. Than i think it's in the gear or pump?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Guyton, GA USA
Vehicle: 2012 Ford F150
Posts: 748
I would first ask why didn't you replace "ALL" the ball joints at once? Did you also check the idler arm for play? They are also prone to wearing out early. I would take it back to the alignment shop and have them check it out again.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 66
I had an Excursion for about a month and got rid of it, I HATED the way it drove. This is coming from a die hard blue oval fan too. Mine wandered all over the road, even worse when towing. Ended up trading it in for an 07 Expedition.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-15-2008, 01:01 AM
FamilyRide's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: DFW, Texas
Vehicle: 2004 Ford Excursion
Posts: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70BOSS302
I had an Excursion for about a month and got rid of it, I HATED the way it drove. This is coming from a die hard blue oval fan too. Mine wandered all over the road, even worse when towing. Ended up trading it in for an 07 Expedition.
Some wander some, some don't at all. Mines a good one, it's solid as a rock. The ones that do, most are because the steering gear box is "within spec" according to Ford, but needs to be adjusted.

The ones without any rear anti-sway bar tend to feel more loose as you'd expect.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-15-2008, 01:02 AM
FamilyRide's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: DFW, Texas
Vehicle: 2004 Ford Excursion
Posts: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil64gto
We just installed new ball joints on the left side. new tires, aligned it and it wants to wander all over the road. It feels like it pulls one way and any correction on the steering wheel is to much and than it'll wander the other way. Has anyone ran into this problem with their Ford??
If it started after work was done, trouble shooting should be easy. Look at anything that was changed. But of course you knew that.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Woodbridge,NJ
Vehicle: 1991 Ford F-250
Posts: 564
My 04 Ex did that too....I replaced the stock steering stabilizer and installed a dual setup from Skyjacker. Straight as an arrow.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-07-2008, 05:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 2001 Ford F150
Posts: 1,591
caster or tow is not set right. you probably notice nore when the road has a crown to it.
does your wheel correct to straight by it's self after you turn a corner? if not its caster.most ford trucks like poss or neg 1 degree tow combined. lower balljoints eff.ect that stuff more than uppers
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-24-2008, 12:32 PM
FamilyRide's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: DFW, Texas
Vehicle: 2004 Ford Excursion
Posts: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtdevildog33 View Post
caster or tow is not set right. you probably notice nore when the road has a crown to it.
does your wheel correct to straight by it's self after you turn a corner? if not its caster.most ford trucks like poss or neg 1 degree tow combined. lower balljoints eff.ect that stuff more than uppers
He probably won't answer since it's been a year since he posted and hasn't been back.

(here's my token Excursion forum post for 2008 )
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Saleen dealer in Tampa
Vehicle: 2008 Ford F-150
Posts: 21
Uncle has...2005 Excursion Limited 4X4 with teh V10.....RR Tire flew off. =(
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: St. Charles, MO
Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-250 7.3
Posts: 5,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-250 FX4 View Post
Uncle has...2005 Excursion Limited 4X4 with teh V10.....RR Tire flew off. =(
And exactly how the hell is that going to help the OP of this thread???
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ohio
Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Posts: 94
Has anybody tryed putting a sway bar on? My old excursion never came with one. The people over at FTE put hellwig sway bars on their ex's and they cured the sway.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52 PM.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Fordé is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company