Windex vs Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Windex vs Headlight

I was looking at the headlights on my truck yesterday and the driver side seemed to be yellowing. After a brisk scrub with some windex and a rag on the outside I noticed an amber looking haze on the rag and the lens went from kind of rough to smooth. It helped out a lot but the inside was still kind of yellow looking. I guess the plastic is starting to oxidize or something.

Well, I had the bright idea of taking out the headlight, spraying some windex in there and rinsing it out with water to see if some of the yellow film would rinse out.

Mistake! All of the chrome looking material on the reflectors is now lying in a puddle on my driveway! Somehow the windex disolved it!

I'm now in process of buying a new headlight. Of course Ford says the only way they sell them is the entire headlight assembly for over $200 ! I've found a used lens and reflector unit for $75, that's the cheapest I can find.

Just wanted to give you a heads up on an expensive lesson learned.

Old 07-16-2002, 05:43 PM
Well... how about getting some chrome spraypaint from Home Depot, NAPA, etc. and fixing it yourself? $2.99 vs. $200.00 - worth a shot.

Old 07-17-2002, 01:09 AM
I have a stock headlight set I'll let go for $50 and I'll pay shipping. Email me at chimneyguy@comcast.net if interested.

Old 07-17-2002, 09:11 AM
Thanks jlo604 but I put in the $75 one last night. Pretty easy to do. I may know someone who might take you up on that offer though. I'll have him email you if he's interested.

Manhattan, you would somehow have to seperate the clear lens from the reflector housing to paint it with anything and then reseal it. Chances are it would probably leak after that. That chrome spraypaint doesn't actually come out chrome either, just a high metalic silver.

Old 08-08-2002, 09:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the heads up don't use windex on inside of headlight lens.

Quick Reply: Windex vs Headlight