2000 Instrument panel replacement

Old 07-16-2002, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2000 Instrument panel replacement

This is an an example of never letting your little brother borrow your truck.

He is a Match shooter and a Police officer.

He borrowed my truck went to the pistol range. while getting out of MY truck WITH a loaded pistol that has a hair trigger. it went off. Putting a rather large hole in my instrument panel.

Now you know the story. Now I have a question.

I have located a 2000 instrument panel/w tach and digital odometer. Just like the wounded one.

The panel with the bullet wound has 42K miles on it. the Replacement panel has 55K on it.

Do these odometers store the mileage for the odometer in the computer or on the instrument panel?

You see my dilemma?

Old 07-16-2002, 10:21 PM
Its in the instrument cluster, there is no way of resetting it, other than sending it to a ford cluster center, and im not sure how much it costs. All the ones we get are programmed for the exhange cost. Also, you do know that the truck is not going to start with the new cluster plugged in, dont you?

Old 07-16-2002, 11:06 PM
if it has the pats sys. the big fat keys. take two keys with you when you tow it to the dealer. so they can program it.

Old 07-17-2002, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Wino
if it has the pats sys. the big fat keys. take two keys with you when you tow it to the dealer. so they can program it.
He cant have a 2000 model and it not have PATS

Old 07-17-2002, 09:14 AM
Why?

Why does it have to go to the dealer and what needs to be done? No I did not know the truck will not start. What is the point?

So 10 yrs from now the dealer can still make money off of the truck?

They get you coming and going huh!

Old 07-17-2002, 10:20 AM
Re: Why?

Originally posted by Effyone
Why does it have to go to the dealer and what needs to be done? No I did not know the truck will not start. What is the point?

So 10 yrs from now the dealer can still make money off of the truck?

They get you coming and going huh!

Nope, its to keep your truck from getting stolen. Have you ever ever heard of a 99up F150 getting stolen? (without being picked up by a tow truck).

Old 07-17-2002, 01:00 PM
How does that work? Does it match the keys to the panel?

Splain please? I am interested now.

Any idea how much they would charge me to do this?

Old 07-17-2002, 01:06 PM
which brings up another question

I have a 5.4 in y truck. I am really inpressed with this motor.

I also have a 79 Bronco. I was thinking in the future when the old 400 gives out again. I would put in a 5.4 drive train.

Would this be a serious pain?

Would this mean I would have to put in a dash panel out of a 97-?? Ford truck in my Bronco to make it work with the computer and wiring harness.?

Old 07-17-2002, 01:38 PM
Re: which brings up another question

Originally posted by Effyone

Would this mean I would have to put in a dash panel out of a 97-?? Ford truck in my Bronco to make it work with the computer and wiring harness.?
Pretty much.

Ok, the PATS keys have to have their ID stored somewhere, back in the early days of PATS it was a separate module, but now the cluster has that job integrated into it. Basically, the PCM will not allow the engine to run if within one second of starting, the instrument cluster doesnt let it know that a valid key is in the ignition. As of now, there is no way a ford PCM in a vehicle that comes with PATS will work without this authentication. So in other words, if the cluster you put in there doesnt have your keys in it's PATS memory, then it tells the PCM to shut down.

How much does it cost?

In Kinston, NC it is $28 to program your keys to your new cluster after its in the vehicle. And to put in the cluster, it's $56, probably cheaper than a tow if you put the cluster in yourself and have to tow it to us.

Old 07-23-2002, 12:03 PM
I would like to install a Lightning instrument cluster in my 00 Expedition. Can this be done? I cant find any info on pricing for one of these clusters.

thx.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Instrument panel replacement