2008 F150 electrical shut down!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 F150 electrical shut down!

Truck has been fine thus far until today.... when i went to park and turn off the car... everything turned off, all the gages and lights on the dashboard, radio, power windows, etc and then i turned off the car in the parking lot. 10 minutes later i put the key in the ignition and all the lights came on the dashboard and everything seemed ok, i turned the key one more time to start the engine but it wouldnt turn over. I got someone to boost the batteries and it looked fine so i tried to drive home when not even 3-4km later all the electrical shut down again but the engine was still running and then 1km later that died too. I got somebody to boost it again and started driving and although all the gages on the dashboard went down again 1 minute later it corrected itself, all the electrical came back on and i was able to make it home. I disconnected the battery and cleaned the positive and negative on the battery and cleaned the wire ends that connect to the battery... i started the truck fine right away everything seemed ok..i decided to go around the block to see if i solved the problem but as i was driving the abs light would come on and off.. the battery meter in the dashboard went from just above half to under a quarter in a matter of 4 min driving.. i came back home and turned off the truck... few minutes later i tried to turn on the truck all the lights came on the dashboard but the truck wouldnt turn over and started clicking...

Ps. The battery should not be an issue because i tested it and it has enough juice in it.

If anyone could help me out that would be appreciated. Is it an alternator problem or a fuse problem? Something i can try to fix myself or do i need to take it into a mechanic?

Last edited by Slavenjean; 07-18-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:41 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
How do the battery cables look where they are connected to the clamp. Also check the connection at the starter. Do you live in the rust belt?

Old 07-18-2016, 05:01 PM
The cables look good.. I live in Brampton Ontario

Old 07-18-2016, 07:37 PM

I bet it's the positive cable to the starter, I had the positive cable fail at the starter on my 03. It wasn't visible until i crawled under and tugged a little on it the ring attached to the starter broke. I included a picture showing what broke circled in yellow with an arrow. and it did the exact same thing you described.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Slavenjean
....<snip>....
Ps. The battery should not be an issue because i tested it and it has enough juice in it.....<snip>....
How did you test the battery ?

Old 07-19-2016, 03:03 AM
I will look and crawl under to take a look at the starter and see if it's the wire you r talking about.. is it hard to replace it? I mean is there enough room to do that or do I have yo have it lifTed at a shop and remove some stuff to get to the cable and replace it.? Thanks for the response..

P.s. I did an oil change 5 days ago and they said the battery is good.. I can't see it go bad that quick because until today the car was working mint.. all of the sudden it happened out of nowhere.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:39 AM
It isn't unreasonably hard to get at. I fixed mine on the ground, yeah you're on your back under the truck but there's enough room to get at it. As I said it isn't all that unusual for a cable to go bad, I've seen several vehicles including 2 of my own that needed the positive cable replaced. I would recommend you disconnect the cable before you crawl under, if you tug on it and it sparks it might startle you and you could clunk your head

Old 07-19-2016, 06:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Slavenjean
...<snip>...P.s. I did an oil change 5 days ago and they said the battery is good.. I can't see it go bad that quick because until today the car was working mint.. all of the sudden it happened out of nowhere.
OK, how did they test the battery ?

Quick Reply: 2008 F150 electrical shut down!