Odometer doesn't stay lit up.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odometer doesn't stay lit up.

I have a 2000 F150 2 wheel drive, V6 engine & 5 speed manual trans. The last problem to repair/fix is the odometer that comes on as it feels like it. It does not always light up on starting but will usually come on as you drive it, maybe 1 mile, maybe 50 miles, & it doesn't always stay on while driving. Speedometer works great. So the first thing I'm thinking is a loose plug in back of the instrument cluster but before I go thru the trouble of taking it out I thought I'd see if any of you have had the same problem & maybe found the problem & fix to be something else.
Thanks

chuck

Old 07-07-2016, 08:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Chuck,

Good to hear you are down to one last issue.
- CC was time consuming but in the end an easy-ish fix.

Your suspicions are correct with the "loose plug", more so the solder joints for the ribbon cable.

The sticky at the top of this subforum has a how to on repair of intermittent odometers.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...er-repair.html

Sorry to have to tell you, but it is time to pull the cluster out of the truck, or at least that is the typical answer and from threads I would take a SWAG is most likely.

Steve

Old 07-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Steve
That's what I was afraid of & I was real close to doing that when I replaced the broken instrument cluster clear lens but I didn't know about that problem. Looks like I'll wait for a cool less humid day to play with that (of course here in WI that means waiting until fall for cooler & less humid days) & I'm still working on getting my hot rod back on the street.
Thanks for the reply tho.
chuck

Old 07-07-2016, 04:33 PM

Chuck,

You were already in that far, crap ! At least you are familiar with getting to it.

It is not a 3 alarm fire dill to fix it, the truck is still tracking the millage; it is just not displaying it.
- You will have to keep a wet thumb tracking for oil changes, fuel filter changes ( if it is that long ), etc until you get to taking it apart.

The millage is stored in the HEC in the instrument cluster along with the PATS RFIDs for the keys and the PCM_ID.
- PCM_ID is so someone cannot swap the cluster, ign cylinder and keys from another F150; to bypass the immobilizer function of PATS. It takes some IDS / PDS programming to clear the PCM_ID to relearn it.

The heat humidity seemed to hold off for some time, we just really got it this past week.
- I'm 2 hrs south of you by ORD

Go work on the Rod until SEP. Just count tanks of fuel for oil & fuel filter until that time.

Steve

Old 07-08-2016, 09:47 PM
Steve
It works enough to keep track of the mileage & such but it just gets annoying. I agree with the working on the hot rod part. This is actually the first time in 2 years I've been able to work on it. In Nov 2014 I had a triple bypass so I couldn't work on it until late the following year & by then I had a pretty big "honey do" list which took me until this spring to finish. We took the motor back out to replace the leaking rear main install a new oil pan with built in dipstick tube. Got all that done & got the motor back in & also the trans is in so I'm plugging away at it in spite of getting motion sickness when I lay on a creeper & try to work on anything. The Drs. are saying it's partly age, blood pressure pills & something with the inner ear & equilibrium so it will be around a while. All I can do is take some meclizine before I go out to the garage & when I feel sick I go back in the house until I feel better, bummer.
Hoping to get the hot rod back on the road before our Dash to the Dells car & truck show in Sep., it's mainly for 1948 to 1972 Ford F-100s but they are pretty liberal (they let me in with my 1946 Ford pickup). Not a large group but family oriented & fun.
Well I just found out I will have something else to occupy my time for a while, my wife just got into a car accident trying to make a left turn. As she was turning somebody coming towards her gassed it in order to miss the red light & got her in the passenger side. She came out OK but I think her 2014 Fusion is toast, bummer, she really liked that car.

chuck

Old 07-09-2016, 08:49 PM

Chuck,

Glad to hear the Mrs came out of the crash well, that is always a pisser.
- Just keep in mind you might be playing waiter tomorrow if she starts to get sore after the fact.

After you get back from the dash in SEP, the weather should be good for pulling the cluster again.

If you don't have one, keep an eye out for a stand magnifier. Menards sometimes have them cheap with the 11% discount bag / event.

Steve

Old 07-10-2016, 12:19 AM
I here that, she has a nicely colored bruise over the right breast & part way under her right arm from the seat belt. It doesn't hurt her to breathe but the bruised muscle is giving her fits when she tries to move wrong.
You mentioned a "stand magnifier", do I have to solder something on the back of my instrument cluster in order to fix it?
chuck

Old 07-10-2016, 06:50 PM

That is from the URL above, that member had a problem with a solder joint for the ribbon connector.

The Thread posted above gives the directions on getting to it.

Quick Reply: Odometer doesn't stay lit up.