Can You Identify This Wire

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can You Identify This Wire

Hello,

I just heard my exhaust rattling - after just getting it fixed last week - but I see that the tail pipe is resting on this wire loom. Can you tell me what this does?

It's in the middle of the picture, just above the axel.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:29 PM
edited the image so you can see which one I am talking about.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:43 PM
I'm thinking, it may be a Parking Brake cable. Does that sound right? I just don't want my brakes going out or something else go seriously wrong if the exhaust melts it.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Could be the E-brake cable, are you sure it's a wire and not a cable? If it is a wire my guess would be the sensor in the dif for the tone ring. If it is it can mess with the speedo ond the ABS.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by jgger
Could be the E-brake cable, are you sure it's a wire and not a cable? If it is a wire my guess would be the sensor in the dif for the tone ring. If it is it can mess with the speedo ond the ABS.
I'll try and Crawl under tomorrow and get a better look at it. I actually had my ABS light come on yesterday and once today. I felt a push back in the brake pedal when I was braking but the truck stopped fine. Almost like I was on ice, but it was a hot summer day. Light was on after that.

I'm guessing either way, It's not something good...

Old 06-01-2016, 06:00 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Yeah it looks like ABS axle speed sensor harness, only thing in that area that gets power.

Parking brake cables are much lower (hard rubber coating just in front of that harness)

Old 06-01-2016, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
Yeah it looks like ABS axle speed sensor harness, only thing in that area that gets power.

Parking brake cables are much lower (hard rubber coating just in front of that harness)
I'm guessing that's not something that I would want not working.

Also - how angry would you guys be at this place for putting these pipes on and them being this rusty after 1 week?

I assume this means they used some cheap metal. I feel like I need to make them redo the whole exhaust that they just fixed..

Old 06-01-2016, 10:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That is standard exhaust pipe, it comes bare and will rust on the surface very quick. You can rub them with a scotch brite pad and then paint them.

As for hanging on the wires have them fix it, they neglected to put the proper hangers on the pipe. See if they will pop for a new harness or an electrical shop to fix the wire.

Quick Reply: Can You Identify This Wire