Alternator Compatibility??

Old 04-12-2016, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator Compatibility??

So I had a "check charging system" light pop on a few days ago. They it came on two days later and did not shut off. I made it home from work and immediately ordered a new alternator. I had just replaced this about 2 years ago with a reman one. So I decide to buy a new alternator and the only place that had a new one in stock was Autozone. The new alternator was $211.99, but when he brought it to the counter it only rang up as $143.99. The guys tried several times and I asked to make sure it was the correct alternator. He said yes and then told me "I guess you are getting a deal today" and sold it to me for the lower price.

Go home and replace the alternator everything goes fine. Not to mention I have a roush supercharger on my 08 Limited F-150, so I had to take the supercharger bracket off the front of the motor to get the alternator out. Turn the truck back on and everything is off. 30 seconds later the same light pops on....WTF!!!!! GRRRRRRR So I start checking stuff with a multi meter. Battery is back to normal on the gauge, but the battery only reads 11.7 and hasn't gone down though.... Alternator tests low also, so I checked the part number on the alternator and sure as ****, they sold me one for an 05-06 expedition or navigator instead of my 08 F150. Now I know why the price was screwed up....

So on to my question, these claim not to be compatible, but have the same voltage output. The one for the F-150 weights a little more though.... Could this alternator just not put enough juice out to charge my battery?? I am going to replace it with the correct alternator tomorrow, but I was just curious. lol

Old 04-12-2016, 11:47 PM
Autozone part number for the alternator I am supposed to have is DLG3644-16-10
Autozone part number for the alternator they sold me and I installed is DL3644-16-10

Old 04-13-2016, 11:00 AM
New correct alternator is in. Still have the battery light on and check charging system error on dash. Battery is only at 10.7 volts, but battery gauge in truck is back up full where it usually is. Checked all the wires without cutting any looms open and they all seem fine....any ideas?? Battery is 2 months old and should be good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator Compatibility??