2005 F150 SCAB, XLT LED issues.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 F150 SCAB, XLT LED issues.

Has anyone else had this issue? I recently installed LED blinker and brake lights on the rear only. I did this the night that I changed my plugs (None Broken, 123,000). After I changed the plugs I have been having an issue with the EVAP system completing the scan, so I have been watching my Torque app closely.

I went to go out to the back country to drive a long stretch of road at a lower speed yesterday, and my cruise control wouldn't turn on. I did some searching and found that if your third brake light is out that your cruise control wont work. I checked it, and sure enough it was out. I went to the auto parts store, and bought a LED bulb for my third brake light, and while I was there I bought a new flasher, to fix the hyper blink due to the LED brake and blinkers.

Still the cruise doesn't work.

According to SSCULLY (He at one time had me blocked), if you don't have any working brake lights, you can't shift your truck out of park. Wouldn't that be an issue if you installed LED's as well, with the next to nonexistent load from the led bulbs?

I have tried doing the self scan, with no results, any additional help would be great. Just a little peeved that I may have to install resistors anyway, after dropping $18 on a new flasher, and spending 15 minutes replacing it.

Joe

Old 03-28-2016, 04:52 PM
Not even a stab?

Old 03-29-2016, 06:26 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
If you install an LED as the 3rd brake light, the cruise cannot work because the LED, like an open incandescent bulb, doesn't "pull down" the logic signal required for cruise operation. Either put a regular bulb back in there or install an auxiliary pull-down resistor.

if you don't have any working brake lights, you can't shift your truck out of park.
On an 05, the operation of the brake lights are irrelevant to the shift interlock. The interlock is operated off the other half of the brake pedal position switch from the stop lamp circuit. The flasher is also irrelevant to the shift interlock operation.

The EVAP monitor is usually the hardest to get to run, so just leave it alone and drive the truck and don't worry about it.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree. Like he said, instal an incandescent bulb in the TBL or instal a resistor. That'll solve the cruise issue.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:58 PM
I'll give it a try tonight. Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 F150 SCAB, XLT LED issues.