Not the typical door ajar problem

Old 01-01-2016, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not the typical door ajar problem

After reading every thread I could find on this site and others about the door ajar issues that are common on the F150's, I decided to start a thread and see if anyone had any other ideas that I have not thought of yet.

I have a 2005 F150 super crew.

The issue that I have is that my door ajar light does not illuminate, my radio stays on after I turn the truck off, as well as my dome light does not work when the door is opened. It is not tied to just one door, as opening/closing either of the 4 doors does not make the door ajar light illuminate on the gauge cluster. I have verified that the light itself does work when you test it. I checked for the typical purple wire splice that everyone has mentioned. In mine the purple wire splice had been replaced with a single purple wire, so that is not the problem. I have checked the door latches on all 4 doors and they are functioning fine mechanically. I did coat them with wd40 just incase they were stuck. I have also replaced the accessory delay relay.

Another issue that I am not sure is related or not is that I can adjust the mirrors even after the key is removed. Even after 30 minutes I can still adjust the mirrors. I checked pin 3 on the mirror control connector and it is grounded all the time. I believe it is supposed to be open normally.(correct me if i am wrong).

At this point I am starting to question rather the body security module might be the issue. Does anyone know of a way to test it? Also I want to confirm that it is under the rear seat? Thanks for any insight/help.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Try some electronic parts cleaner on the ignition switch cylinder and door latches as well.....you got a connectivity issue somewhere it sounds like.

Last edited by Kuzn150; 01-01-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
You might also want to check for 3rd brake light leaks and windshield leaks.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:19 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Another issue that I am not sure is related or not is that I can adjust the mirrors even after the key is removed. Even after 30 minutes I can still adjust the mirrors. I checked pin 3 on the mirror control connector and it is grounded all the time. I believe it is supposed to be open normally.(correct me if i am wrong).
The mirrors are normal. They're always powered so they can always be adjusted.

The issue that I have is that my door ajar light does not illuminate, my radio stays on after I turn the truck off, as well as my dome light does not work when the door is opened. It is not tied to just one door, as opening/closing either of the 4 doors does not make the door ajar light illuminate on the gauge cluster. I have verified that the light itself does work when you test it. I checked for the typical purple wire splice that everyone has mentioned. In mine the purple wire splice had been replaced with a single purple wire, so that is not the problem. I have checked the door latches on all 4 doors and they are functioning fine mechanically. I did coat them with wd40 just incase they were stuck. I have also replaced the accessory delay relay.
Check fuse F21.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 01-01-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:15 PM
I did use electronics cleaner in the door latches originally but it did not do anything for me. Its funny that you mentioned the 3rd brake light leak because my kids actually noticed it and told me about it. I found about 2 inches of water in the door channel where all the wires run on the driver side. It was in both the drivers door sill and rear driver side door sill. I pulled the plugs and got the water out, that didn't change the problem either. While I was in there, I checked every inch of all the wires and could not find a single defect. I will try that fuse and see what I find. Thanks for the help. Will keep everyone posted about what I find.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:04 PM
So I checked all the fuses and relays. Everything checks good. I have troubleshot it down to a short somewhere in the accessory delay system. It has power 100 % of the time, so the relay never turns off the accessory after 5 minutes like its supposed to. Is there a way to disconnect the door latches one at a time?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not the typical door ajar problem