Extremely wierd window problem 97 epedition

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Extremely wierd window problem 97 epedition

Ok its a 97 expedition I just bought.
First I found the drivers side window didn't work so I pulled the motor thinking that's what the problem was, I could hear the relay click when I went down but nothing happened. I pulled the motor and put it to the battery and it worked fine, I also found that when I unplugged the window motor the dome light started flashing when the door was open, same thing when the switch was unplugged. I found that if I rolled down either passanger side window that it operated the drivers side motor. Also if I hold down on the driverside switch it chimed the "lights on" or key in ignition sound.

After all this I replaced the drivers side window switch and still had the same problem. So I replaced the GEM and still had the exact same problem.

Im completely out of ideas on what to do... roll down the rear passanger window and it rolls down the front drivers window and the back window only moves alittle... Please help!!!

I found another post from someone with the same problem and they never could fix it!

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/1cqkl...w-problem.html

Last edited by Mark Legg; 12-05-2015 at 05:16 PM. Reason: added link
Old 12-06-2015, 01:23 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the case, but it sounds like the wires are shorting across at some point. The most common place would be where the harness goes from the door jamb to the door it self. If they have chaffed through then the switch could be giving the wrong window the right signal. Has the truck ever been hit on that side?

Old 12-06-2015, 02:44 PM
Had that kinda, sorta thing happen with my 97 F150.. Had issues with the wipers too.. At one point, when I would hit the drivers window button, the rear outside cab light would come on!

Off to Ford it went and they had to replace the wire harness inside the cab, as it was shorting out or something..

Cost about $500 bucks I think when it was all said and done.. But, I didn't have to mess with it and only took 2 days. Never had any other issues with it after that and I had the truck for at least another 5 years after that.

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 12-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I believe it has a short as well. When I unplug the window motor or switch the dome light starts flashing I hooked a volt meter to the ground on the switch and the door and noticed everytime the light came on the volt meter was reading 12 volts on the ground... I just need to know where the short is so I can fix it.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:08 AM
Ford had to pull the cab headliner and that's the harness they replaced. If you can find your short up there, that might save you some $$. I didn't have the time or the patience to do that myself, so that's why I paid Ford to do it for me..

Quick Reply: Extremely wierd window problem 97 epedition