01 f150 cruise control

Old 11-23-2015, 01:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 f150 cruise control

Hello, just started to DIY and its been great so far.

I have a 2001 f150 4.6L. Cruise control light flashes on for a brief second when I try to engage it driving down the road and then goes off. Does this for the first few times I try it then does flash at all. I did also do the recall and have the inline fuse harness.

My horn is working, as well as my third brake light, and all fuses are good in the passenger fuse compartment (don't know how to check relays.)

I did the self test all the lights lit up. First when I held the off switch, it flashed once. Then pressed the on switch, it lit up. Then the resume switch, it lit up. Then the coast switch, it lit up. And lastly the set/acceleration switch and it lit up. No additional lights lit up after. I am unsure if the servo does it's test with the actuator. I have pulled the the plug off the brake pressure switch and put my tester to the plug that is on the master cylinder and it has continuity and has no leaks.

So, I have it narrowed down to (possibly) the brake pressure switch still being bad with the faulty inline fuse harness, the servo, the connection on top of the brake pedal, or maybe something else that I don't know. I tried to do as much leg work as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-23-2015, 08:13 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
It's probably the pressure switch that has finally failed.

For diagnostic purposes, disconnect the recall harness from the vehicle harness. Install a jumper into the pins of the vehicle harness and re-run your test. If the system now works, replace the old recall harness AND the switch with the newest version of the switch kit, Motorcraft SW6350 from memory. Verify correct part number for your truck.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:53 AM
What is a jumper? Are you maybe talking about taking the old plug connector without the new harness and plugging it in to the switch and then testing?

Old 11-23-2015, 11:16 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
A jumper is a piece of wire to bridge the pins in the connector.

Disconnect the recall harness from both the switch and the connector from the vehicle harness. Jumper the pins in the vehicle harness.

SW6350 is correct.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:47 PM
Well, this project just got postponed. Was flushing the coolant earlier today and broke off the pet****. Then on top of that my truck started leaking coolant right after from a different area. Maybe the water pump, not extremely sure. But I will for sure try the jumper asap.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:17 PM
Good news, the jumper completed the self test. I will go ahead and replace the switch and wire. Thank you!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01 f150 cruise control