Backup camera grid lines turn off

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backup camera grid lines turn off

I have a 2011 FX4 4x4 SCrew and I have the backup camera set up so the grid lines are visible. Every so often I'll get in my truck, put it in reverse to back out of my garage, and they'll be gone. When I go through the menu it says they're set to "off". I turn them "on" again and they're fine.

It's so sporadic that I can't pin point anything that's causing it. It never happens if the truck is running and I turn them "on". It only happens when I turn the truck off and restart it, but not all the time. It's really annoying to redo constantly especially when I'm trying to hook up a trailer. Any clues on what is causing this? Thanks.

-Todd

Old 11-17-2015, 10:01 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CrashMan82
I have a 2011 FX4 4x4 SCrew and I have the backup camera set up so the grid lines are visible. Every so often I'll get in my truck, put it in reverse to back out of my garage, and they'll be gone...
Hi CrashMan82,

Have you ever mentioned the disappearing grid lines to your dealer? If so, I'd recommend that as a next step. Be sure to mention the circumstances under which it usually happens so they'll have the best chance of recreating it. How many miles are on your truck currently?

Crystal

Old 11-19-2015, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi CrashMan82,

Have you ever mentioned the disappearing grid lines to your dealer? If so, I'd recommend that as a next step. Be sure to mention the circumstances under which it usually happens so they'll have the best chance of recreating it. How many miles are on your truck currently?

Crystal
Hi Crystal,

I mentioned it to the dealer and they said they have no way of pin pointing the problem because of how sporadic the issue is.

-Tods

Old 11-19-2015, 01:49 PM
Hi Crystal,

I mentioned it to the dealer and they said they have no way of pin pointing the problem because of how sporadic the issue is.

-Tods
Thanks for responding, Todd. Just to clarify, did your dealer perform a diagnosis, or did you just speak with them about this? Also, could you give me a rough idea of how many miles are on your truck now?

Crystal

Last edited by FordService; 11-19-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:03 PM
they said they checked the computer and no errors were found when they ran a diagnostic. They had the truck for a warrantied repair and I mentioned it to them, and said they ran a diagnostic test and found nothing and they couldn't duplicate the problem. I have 49000 miles right now, but I have a certified pre-owned warranty and it should be covered.

-Todd

Old 11-19-2015, 02:25 PM
they said they checked the computer and no errors were found when they ran a diagnostic. They had the truck for a warrantied repair and I mentioned it to them, and said they ran a diagnostic test and found nothing and they couldn't duplicate the problem. I have 49000 miles right now, but I have a certified pre-owned warranty and it should be covered.

-Todd
Thanks, Todd. A dealer does have to replicate a concern before a repair can be made. I see you still have a case open with your CSM; have you discussed this with her?

Crystal

Old 11-19-2015, 02:34 PM
Not yet. She called yesterday but I was at work and I haven't had a chance to call her back. I'm actually extremely dissatisfied with the way one of the service assistants treated me. When I talked to the CSM, I asked her if it was being treated like a complaint, because I didn't want the dealer to look bad, and that I had no complaints. She assured me that it wasn't a complaint. She helped me get a loaner car from the dealer. When I got a call the following day from the dealer, the service person said, "Oh, and next time you need a car, just tell us before you go calling Ford."

I told them when I made the appointment that I needed a loaner car and they said none were available until later in the month. I couldn't wait that long so I scheduled the service. No one told me I had rental coverage with the service plans I had and no other options were given. When I dropped off my truck I had my father in law pick me up and bring me to work, and when I brought my keys in to the service department, someone behind the desk asked me if I needed a shuttle service. That was never mentioned before that morning.

When I went in to pick up my truck I tried explaining to the service person that I didn't file a complaint, and that you guys actually contacted me through this forum she didn't even want to talk to me. She basically said, "Oh well! Can't fix it now!". She didn't even have the courtesy to look at me when I was talking to her. She had it in her mind that I called Ford motor Co. to tattle on them.

I have never been treated that way before and I will never go back to that specific dealer for anything. Sales or service. This isn't the first time I've had problems with that service department either, but it's certainly going to be my last.

-Todd

Old 11-19-2015, 02:47 PM
Not yet. She called yesterday but I was at work and I haven't had a chance to call her back. I'm actually extremely dissatisfied with the way one of the service assistants treated me. When I talked to the CSM, I asked her if it was being treated like a complaint, because I didn't want the dealer to look bad, and that I had no complaints. She assured me that it wasn't a complaint. She helped me get a loaner car from the dealer. When I got a call the following day from the dealer, the service person said, "Oh, and next time you need a car, just tell us before you go calling Ford."

I told them when I made the appointment that I needed a loaner car and they said none were available until later in the month. I couldn't wait that long so I scheduled the service. No one told me I had rental coverage with the service plans I had and no other options were given. When I dropped off my truck I had my father in law pick me up and bring me to work, and when I brought my keys in to the service department, someone behind the desk asked me if I needed a shuttle service. That was never mentioned before that morning.

When I went in to pick up my truck I tried explaining to the service person that I didn't file a complaint, and that you guys actually contacted me through this forum she didn't even want to talk to me. She basically said, "Oh well! Can't fix it now!". She didn't even have the courtesy to look at me when I was talking to her. She had it in her mind that I called Ford motor Co. to tattle on them.

I have never been treated that way before and I will never go back to that specific dealer for anything. Sales or service. This isn't the first time I've had problems with that service department either, but it's certainly going to be my last.

-Todd
Thanks for letting me know, Todd. Would you like me to document this feedback about your dealership? If so, send me a quick PM with any of the details you'd like me to include; I'll take it from there.

Crystal

Old 11-19-2015, 02:50 PM
I was going to call the CSM back with the info. I took one of that person's cards as well, and I'm going to give her her name. I just don't have the card on me now. Thanks you though.

-Todd

Old 11-19-2015, 03:16 PM
I was going to call the CSM back with the info. I took one of that person's cards as well, and I'm going to give her her name. I just don't have the card on me now. Thanks you though.

-Todd
Sounds good, Todd. If there's anything else I can do to help, just let me know.

Crystal

Old 12-09-2015, 09:27 AM
I have a 2011 FX4 4x4 SCrew and I have the backup camera set up so the grid lines are visible. Every so often I'll get in my truck, put it in reverse to back out of my garage, and they'll be gone. When I go through the menu it says they're set to "off". I turn them "on" again and they're fine.

It's so sporadic that I can't pin point anything that's causing it. It never happens if the truck is running and I turn them "on". It only happens when I turn the truck off and restart it, but not all the time. It's really annoying to redo constantly especially when I'm trying to hook up a trailer. Any clues on what is causing this? Thanks.

-Todd
I have the exact same problem on my 2011 FX4 4x4 SCrew. Can't figure out why it happens.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by DaveK
I have the exact same problem on my 2011 FX4 4x4 SCrew. Can't figure out why it happens.
This might be a good puzzle for your dealer to solve, DaveK; have you ever mentioned it to them? How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal

Old 12-09-2015, 02:28 PM
I have about 52,000 miles on it. I have mentioned it to the dealer but since they can't replicate it, they won't do anything about it.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by DaveK
I have about 52,000 miles on it. I have mentioned it to the dealer but since they can't replicate it, they won't do anything about it.
Thanks for responding, DaveK. If it starts happening more frequently, or if you're able to easily replicate it yourself, I'd recommend making another appointment for diagnosis. When you're ready to head in, let me know; I'll loop in your regional customer service manager. All I need to get started is a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Quick Reply: Backup camera grid lines turn off