Truck won't crank has power

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck won't crank has power

Hello Everyone

I have a 2005 f150 5.4L
Yesterday my wife was doing some running around in town and had turned the truck on and off a few times no problems. She turned the truck off at a friends house and when she went to go out again truck would not crank. Dash lights, radio, wipers all worked. Tried a few things boosting, gently hitting the starter to see if it was stuck, checked fuses, nothing. Came online read a few articles, read one about the wire that looks like an inline fuse up by the battery tried that nothing. Left it for the night, tried it this morning didn't work, towed with a rope home this morning. Now I just turned the key over and just as I was about to release the key truck started to crank. Turned key again truck started. Just wondering is this a sign the starter is going, or is there something else electrical going on.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jeff

Old 08-02-2015, 01:32 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
The transmission range sensor (neutral safety switch) may be slightly out of adjustment or is starting to fail. If it happens again, put it in neutral and try it - jiggling the lever back and forth a bit.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:39 PM
So truck started and stopped a few times and then same problem occurred. Tried glc's advice with the gearshift and still not working. One thing I forgot to mention in op is the last couple of days my abs has been activating on dry pavement just at low speeds. Pretty sure I have it narrowed down to the rear sensor in the rear. Could the two be related?

Old 08-02-2015, 09:12 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Could the two be related?
Nope, separate issues.

just as I was about to release the key truck started to crank
Might be the ignition switch, might be something else.

The starter circuit control consists of the ignition switch, the DTR sensor, the starter relay in the central junction box, and the PCM's output as a result of the PATS proveout.

1. Verify PATS is not triggered.

2. Try swapping the starter relay with another in the box that is not critical (PCM power, fuel pump are CRITICAL) if you can identify one.

3. Check fuses F101 & F102 in the central junction box. Check the pins that hold those two fuses for stretching or corrosion that might cause an intermittent connection.

There's more, but it will take a meter/test light and some patient testing/probing to nail it down. Check the easier stuff above first.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 08-02-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:37 AM
The PATS light on the dash blinks normal when key is off and when i turn key too run position it goes solid for 2 - 3 seconds then goes out when I turn key to start no light. I think this is normal. Tried switching relays nothing and checked fuses.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:14 PM
I would test to see if you are getting power to the small wire on the starter when ya turn the key to start, if so, replace the starter. The starters magnets will break if hit with a hammer.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:14 PM
Also try pushing the key inward went cranking and wiggle it to see if it starts.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:26 PM
Got truck fixed. It was the "S" wire on the starter it had broke from being rusted.

Quick Reply: Truck won't crank has power