Help with no start 4.6 auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 03:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with no start 4.6 auto

I have dealer service appointment tomorrow at 9:30. Probably not going to make that since my f150 2004 4.6 automatic will not start.

Will not start means With the key in on position The engine will not crank and I do not get the starter solenoid chatter. There may be a faint click of a relay.

I charged the battery and also jumped it with an external battery but same result.

Headlights seem to be full bright.

I have been prepping the truck for vacation and think I may have disturbed somewiring or something.

1. I installed a sliding camper shell window. There was one connector behind driver top left corner that I did reconnect.

2. Removed the glove box to vacuum out mice nest above the heater ac unit. May have disturbed some wires in there with the vacuum hose.

First thing in the morning.

I will check the fuses and starter relays in the fuse panel.
Try to verify voltage to starter solenoid on motor. I assume starters still have one of those.
Check and clean battery connections and ground wire to frame.

try to see if motor is frozen.

Check into body security module although I don't think my truck has that (no doorlock keypads.

Try second key to make sure chip on key is good.

Is there any kind of a switch on the auto trans in this circuit?
Where is the starter solenoid located?

I moved the truck forward about 10 feet to get in the shade and the next day It would not start.

Trying to get ready for vacation and time is running out.Any help appreciated.

Tim

Old 06-18-2015, 07:53 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
1. What is the THEFT light doing when you turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN? The 04 has a starter interrupt as part of the PATS system and a PATS event will disable the starter. If the THEFT light proves out normally (see owner's manual), then it's not a PATS-caused issue.

Is there any kind of a switch on the auto trans in this circuit?
Yes, it's called the DTR switch and has the PARK/NEUTRAL starter safety interlock as part of it.

Where is the starter solenoid located?
The solenoid is always part of the starter motor. However, do NOT confuse it with the starter RELAY which, on an 04, is either on the firewall or in the underhood fusebox (forget which, don't have EVTM handy ATM).

Last edited by projectSHO89; 06-18-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:32 AM
Thanks for reply. About to go out and work truck.

Did not notice theft light response. Will check for fast flash or steady on with key in start position.

I think I did replace the small black rectangular relay in the fuse compartment
several years ago. Maybe it failed again.

Anyway will report back if I find anything.

Tim

Old 06-18-2015, 09:40 AM
Ok The anti theft light flashes very quickly and very dimly. According to manual that is not good.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:51 AM
OK Got it started.

Pulled starter relay fuse box and exchanged with other relay of same type.
Also removed negative terminal in attempt to reset.

Truck strarted.

Unfortunately I don't know if it was a bad ground.(probably not since headlights were full bright.

Stuck relay or needed to be reseated. When I put the old one back in it now worked.

I kind of think that removing the ground reset the computer.

Good news its 7:50 and i hopefully will make it to the dealer for 9;30 appointment.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Help with no start 4.6 auto