Removed automatic remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removed automatic remote starter

While removing the autostarter from my truck I accidentally pulled out a wire which was wrapped around the ignition. It was a clear wire which had 2 small black/blackwhite wires attached to it. I am looking for any information as to what that part was and where the 2 wires should have terminated. Diagram? Part name? Function ? etc.... My truck ran well before and now it will not start. I get a click noise under the hood and the engine won't crank. BTW I have 1999 F150 xl with 4.6l. Thanks in advance. I will also enclose a pick I found of the wire from another ford vehicle.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:14 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
That was the antenna for the remote start to communicate with the anti-theft system. It would have connected to the removed module.

What is the THEFT light doing now when you try to start the engine?

Last edited by projectSHO89; 05-31-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:13 AM
Put key in run position. Theft light comes on for about 4 seconds then turns off. Nothing after that. Does not come on again .

Old 05-31-2015, 02:51 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Good, that does mean that PATS is happy. You can stop being concerned about the antenna on the ignition cylinder for now.

Now, go find out EXACTLY what is clicking under the hood since we can't see it. Take a picture pointing to it, if you must, so we can identify it.

Was the old system a remote start only or was it also a security system?

When ripping out the old system, did you remove any external relays or other components that had bee installed in series with an existing wire?

Old 06-02-2015, 06:31 PM
Problem solved. I found disconnected wire under the hood near the battery. After we ruled out PATS system , I focused on things under the hood. Found disconnected wire and problem solved. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated

Quick Reply: Removed automatic remote starter