Ignition fuse blown twice in a couple weeks

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition fuse blown twice in a couple weeks

hi, I have a 13 f150 stx. I had a remote start/ power door locks installed early last year, a trailer brake controller was put in July 2014, I installed a 500w amp and sub in January using the PAC audio system (ground right to my frame), and I recently installed a power window kit in late March. Wow...

Anyways, a couple weeks ago I went to a store and I got out of my truck, hit the door lock my fob as usual. Was gone maybe 10 minutes, came out and my truck was unlocked (Might not have locked at all), had power (headlights) but my fob wouldn't work and I had no ignition power. Figured out after a bit that it was my ignition fuse. So I switched it out, thinking it had something to with my remote start that I haven't tried to figure out yet. Then as I was pulling into my driveway an hour go, the fuse went again randomly. I was in reverse still!

I was thinking it might be PAC audio system I have, but it just goes to the factory system...

Also, I was reading some of the ignition fuse issues on other threads, and it seems that some of the older trucks have 30 or 40 amp fuses. Mine is just a 15 amp. Is this because it's a base truck or is this a new truck thing?

Some ideas of what might going on would be nice. I hate electrical issues!

Thanks!!

Old 04-27-2015, 09:43 AM
if you installed all these extra's and hooked up any of them w/o a relay to handle the amp/power end of it, to your ignition 15 amp circuit, it will blow the fuse. you may also just have a short somewhere too. What was the last thing you installed and on what circuit?
Don't put in a higher amp fuse! or next time it will be the wiring or truck.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:43 AM
Ford Customer Service
Originally Posted by tracyk86
hi, I have a 13 f150 stx. I had a remote start/ power door locks installed early last year, a trailer brake controller was put in July 2014, I installed a 500w amp and sub in January using the PAC audio system (ground right to my frame), and I recently installed a power window kit in late March. Wow...

Anyways, a couple weeks ago I went to a store and I got out of my truck, hit the door lock my fob as usual. Was gone maybe 10 minutes, came out and my truck was unlocked (Might not have locked at all), had power (headlights) but my fob wouldn't work and I had no ignition power. Figured out after a bit that it was my ignition fuse. So I switched it out, thinking it had something to with my remote start that I haven't tried to figure out yet. Then as I was pulling into my driveway an hour go, the fuse went again randomly. I was in reverse still!

I was thinking it might be PAC audio system I have, but it just goes to the factory system...

Also, I was reading some of the ignition fuse issues on other threads, and it seems that some of the older trucks have 30 or 40 amp fuses. Mine is just a 15 amp. Is this because it's a base truck or is this a new truck thing?

Some ideas of what might going on would be nice. I hate electrical issues!

Thanks!!
No problem, tracyk86. Happy to help!

Has your truck been to the dealer for inspection? I recommend this, as they're in the best position to provide a diagnosis. Please let me know the details, including current odometer reading on your F-150.

Mariel

Old 05-04-2015, 09:44 AM
I think I may have figured it out. I tested my fuse when I used my windows. Turns out when I roll one up it will draw 10 amps. So if I'm running them both at the same time It will blow the fuse. I am really not sure if on those specific 2 occasions if I was using the windows or not. Really surprised they draw that much power! I am going to put all my aftermarket on a separate relay/fuse set up and see from there. Not be so redneck with my wiring ��!

Last edited by tracyk86; 07-06-2015 at 11:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Ignition fuse blown twice in a couple weeks