AUX outlets on all the time - need one to shut off after Xn min

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AUX outlets on all the time - need one to shut off after Xn min

Used to be that the computer in vehicles would shut off all power to accessories, dome lights and such to prevent battery drain if a door was left ajar, or an accessory left on.

That does not seem to be the case in my '13 F150 XLT.

I have two accessories I'd like to leave plugged in, one is a GPS the other a small APRS transmitter (http://aprs.fi/w0gan). But I don't want them to just stay on, it would be nice if they shut off after some time, say the same delay as the radio and electric windows, then came back on when the doors unlock or the engine starts.

I've read the owners manual, searched this site, and Googled and cannot find a non-invasive solution (I don't want to splice into any wires).

Does anyone know of an accessory plug that is cigarette lighter male on one end, and female on the other, perhaps multiple, that has auto off after a time, or perhaps is only on while the vehicle is in motion?

Greg

Old 04-15-2015, 12:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Wichita_Greg
(I don't want to splice into any wires).
There is no magic. The truck - and especially any aftermarket accessories that you may plug into it - can't guess what you want. You have to make them work the way you want by adjusting the wiring to suit you.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steve83
There is no magic. The truck - and especially any aftermarket accessories that you may plug into it - can't guess what you want. You have to make them work the way you want by adjusting the wiring to suit you.
Thanks for responding, I understand my F150 doesn't do it, that's why I'm looking for an accessory.

The '13 Dart I traded in was perfect, the cig lighter aux outlet shut off after a preset time.

Still looking.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:08 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You don't seem to have read what you quoted. An accessory is LESS-able to do what you want than the truck. How do you think an accy. NOT spliced into the truck's wiring will know when to start counting down before it turns off? It has to have something to tell it the truck is OFF. Some use voltage, with the assumption that anything above ~13.2VDC must be caused by the alternator, implying that the engine is running; conversely, they assume anything below that means the engine is off. But if the alt malfunctions, or the battery gets old, or the battery terminals get dirty, or there's some big electrical load (all things known to happen to trucks), it will confuse the voltage reading and your socket will turn on or off at the wrong time.

Rewiring the socket is simpler, cheaper, more-reliable, and quicker. I did it to ALL of mine, including the ones I added:

Old 04-16-2015, 02:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My 07 has the 12v power on 100% of the time, I think its a Ford thing. My wife's jeep is wired through the ignition and turns off with the key.

Why not take a power wire from the radio and wire to the 12v? It'll shut off when you take out the key and open the door.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:17 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I don't think there's a non-invasive solution, but you should be able to wire up something and control it from the accessory delay relay (#49 in the in-cab fuse box). The only delayed power point you have is the 110 volt, if you have it.

Quick Reply: AUX outlets on all the time - need one to shut off after Xn min