Starter Bindex problems maybe ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter Bindex problems maybe ???

My 2001 F150 5.4 XLT Triton pride and joy didn't start the other day and it just happened out the blue. So I did my research and some folks said it could be the solenoid on the firewall so I went to advance and bought a new one. That still didn't help so I got my battery tested and my battery is all good. So I decided to go ahead and replace the starter. I took the starter off today and took it up to advanced auto parts to get it tested and sure enough it wasn't working so I bought another one to put on. I bolted everything right on the solenoid on the starter and put the starter back in its placed. I connected the battery back up and when I went to turn it over it worked but there was this rough noise going on while the truck was idling so I cut it off and my dad said he seen smoke and the solenoid was HOT. So I took that one off went back and bought another one and hooked it up right and again same as the first for some reason it starts the truck but the noise and the smoke. I have no clue what to do I personally think its the bindex arm not going back into the starter after it cranks. So im looking for help on the forums.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-01-2015, 11:26 AM
First in these type of starters, Always go NEW NOT rebuilt. So many problems w/ rebuilts on ford starters w/ Solenoids mounted on top of these starters. here is a video that may help. Make sure you get the correct soleniod that mounts the the firewall. Ford has a few different type's.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:32 PM
Thanks bud I had bought a new starter from Advanced the first 2 times I just took the 2nd off. I just don't understand I hooked all the wiring up right but honestly it seems like the arm pinion thing isn't disengaging and checked my flywheel when I took the starter off and no teeth were missing my flywheel is alright. Like I said it turns it over and fires right up but it doesn't disengage like its suppose to.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Why don't you have the starter AND the solenoid drive checked? It it's not disengaging, you probably need to replace it. Note: I don't believe your starter uses a Bendix drive. That's fairly old school.

- Jack

Old 04-01-2015, 08:18 PM
probably

I could be wrong but I had them test it and they said it wasn't putting out enough amps so I swapped it for another one and had it test and they said it was all good now I installed my newest one (3rd one) and it still is doing the same as the other one I put one. im going to check or get someone to check my battery connection wires and make they aren't nicked for exposed and might be touching something it isn't supposed to touch. I also am going to check the new firewall solenoid I put in also.

Thanks though its always good to get input from others.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Triton150
I could be wrong but I had them test it and they said it wasn't putting out enough amps so I swapped it for another one and had it test and they said it was all good now I installed my newest one (3rd one) and it still is doing the same as the other one I put one. im going to check or get someone to check my battery connection wires and make they aren't nicked for exposed and might be touching something it isn't supposed to touch. I also am going to check the new firewall solenoid I put in also.

Thanks though its always good to get input from others.
What? A starter does not "put out Amps". The alternator and battery do. A starter DRAWS Amps.

I still think you need to have the starter/solenoid combination tested. From your description, the pinon gear clutch is not releasing, so it cannot freewheel once the engine has started. If this is the case, it's possible the pinion gear is trapped against the ring gear and the spring on the solenoid cannot retract it.

A weak battery would either not have enough power to spin the starter once the ring gear was engaged, or would not even activate the solenoid to push the pinion into position. And, battery cables that are not making good contact are going to give you the same symptoms as a weak battery.

If you replaced the starter relay (the thing on the firewall) my guess is you just lightened your wallet for no gain. From your description, the starter WAS engaging, therefore, the starter relay was working (and the battery is supplying enough power).

- Jack

Quick Reply: Starter Bindex problems maybe ???