2002 SCrew - Headlights won't turn OFF

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 SCrew - Headlights won't turn OFF

Hey ya'll, started having some issues with the headlights a few months ago.

One night I didn't realize the headlights didn't turn off, and drained my battery. With the switch in AUTO, or OFF positions, and the key turned off, the headlights, parking lights, and tail lights won't turn OFF.

My temporary fix until I deployed was to just pull the headlight and parking light fuses from the fuse box under the hood on the driver's side.

Last week I come home from deployment, put the fuses in to drive to the grocery store, and when I turn the key off in the parking lot, the lights magically cooperate. I come back out 15 mins later, and they're ON again.

I replaced the relay associated with the lights, replaced the fuses, but they still won't turn off.

Any ideas for troubleshooting the switch in the cab, or the fuse box under the hood, or anything else?

thanks

Old 03-16-2015, 07:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you try leaving the autolamp relays out of the relay block under the oval on the dash ?

The other item that you do not list is the headlamp switch itself.
- This is what switches the power from the RPO relay block for the autolamps to the headlamps.

Also you will need to inspect the wiring behind the headlamp switch for chaffing / damage to the insulation to see if the circuit is completing external to the switch.

I would start with pulling the headlamp switch and inspecting the wiring for damage.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Did you try leaving the autolamp relays out of the relay block under the oval on the dash ?

The other item that you do not list is the headlamp switch itself.
- This is what switches the power from the RPO relay block for the autolamps to the headlamps.

Also you will need to inspect the wiring behind the headlamp switch for chaffing / damage to the insulation to see if the circuit is completing external to the switch.

I would start with pulling the headlamp switch and inspecting the wiring for damage.
I haven't pulled the switch in the cab out yet, for fear of destroying it. It seems sorta easy to break, but I'll get to that next.

How do I exclude the autolamp relay from under the dash? What "oval" are you speaking of?
Thanks

Old 03-16-2015, 09:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The headlamp switch is not easy to break if you remove it how the directions say to.

What relay were you referring to with the headlamps ( in the 1st post ), if it was not in reference to the autolamp relays ?
- the only other relay is for the DRLs, which has nothing to do with the parking lamps.

Under the oval on the top of the dash there is the RPO relay block that has the autolamp relays in it.
- one for the headlamps, one for the parking lamps.

I would start with pulling the headlamp switch and inspecting the wiring, in detail, for damage. This is not a 2 min project, ti will take some time to check all the wires by hand.

Quick Reply: 2002 SCrew - Headlights won't turn OFF