Cold weather problems. Signals, ABS, Airbags.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold weather problems. Signals, ABS, Airbags.

I've come across this site many times in googling my problems and you guys have done a good job in helping me out. This time, I'm not seeing much about my problems, so figured it was as good a time as any to creat an account and consult the brain trust.

The backstory and useful tidbits:

I live in Michigan, which means it's been cold. Like, really cold. Consistently. All winter.

I drive a '94 F-150 XLT, 2WD, 5.8L V8 Auto. Extended cab and 8ft bed. The only thing not stock are the side steps to get in.

I'm pretty handy, so I can do most work myself. It's just been to cold to do anything outside and I don't have regular access to a garage.

The problems:

1) When the temps stopped rising above 20ish degrees on a regular basis, and kept in the teens and below, my turn signals stopped functioning normally. They would blink once or twice first time I would use them after a cold start, overnight usually, but would come on after 25 minutes, or so, of warming up. They would then work the rest of the day, until it sat overnight again.

Thinking it might just be the flashers or relays or whatever, because I installed a new Multifunction Switch within the last year or two.

2) Since the cold started, I also noticed that my Brake and ABS Lights have been coming on, usually after I take a turn too hard before the truck warms up.

I can get the problem to go away by topping off the brake fluid reservoir. I don't think I have a leak, brakes still feel good, and I'm only adding a TBSP or two of fluid.

So, maybe a sensor? Or am I do for a brake job? Because either way, I think it'll wait for warmer weather.

3) A few weeks ago when the temps and windchill dropped to -25(on average) my airbag light started flashing. It has only happened twice since then and only while driving, so I have not been able to count the flashed to get the code yet. I will try to count/write it down next time it does and post it here.

If you need anymore information, just ask.

Hopefully you guys can help.
Thanks, Mike

Quick Reply: Cold weather problems. Signals, ABS, Airbags.