Are all 2008 ignition keys coded?

Old 11-24-2014, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are all 2008 ignition keys coded?

Hi,
I just got an 2008 f150. It's a no frills work truck. I only have one key and was wondering if all keys are coded or only the higher trim levels. I need a spare but I'd like to avoid having to go to the dealer and pay a bunch of money.
Thanks, joe

Old 11-24-2014, 05:16 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
They have all had chips since 1999. You don't have to go to the dealer - even Walmart has them now. The only reason to go to the dealer is if you want an exact second original key - which you would need to cut and program your own keys. A clone key will not be recognized as an original second key.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:46 PM
Ok. Cool. Thanks

Old 02-23-2015, 10:05 PM
Have the keys changed since 2013? I haven't been able to get a transponder only key for my 2 week old 2014 to work yet.
I have both my original keys and based on page 60 of the owners manual all I need is either the combo fob/PATS or PATs only key type SA (80 bit chip).
I originally ordered a PATs SA type from a online locksmith and had it cut locally. The truck wouldn't accept it. So I had a local locksmith who assured me his keys worked at least on a 2013, only to find it too wouldn't register.
A 3rd locksmith after scanning one of my original keys said that his system reported the key was only available from the dealer.
I know my originals are good because after I insert the 2nd original key it displays my door code.

The dealer wants $200 for a PATS key only and $450 for a combo.

Why am I getting so many different opinions on something thats been around nearly 20 years and clearly covered in the owners manual.
And why are the dealers so inclined to rip their customers off with all the BS about how expensive the keys are and the time involved in programing? After all the parts dept sells the PATS key for $35 and according to the manual the programing has to be done within 30 seconds.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:53 AM
Not sure why your original keys aren't working. I think that if one of the keys is a copy then it won't work for the programming of other keys. Not sure if your truck is brand new or not. Also, just because it says ford on the key doesn't mean it's an original or even from ford.

As a cheaper alternative. I just replaced the lock cylinder on my 2008. 2 keys plus a lock was $60. I used an autel scanner, though any scanner with pats capability should work. The scanner is able to clear the pats code and reprogram as many keys as you need with a new code. If you have a buddy or a trustworthy mechanic with a full function scanner this could save you a couple of bucks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are all 2008 ignition keys coded?