fuel pump drive module replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel pump drive module replacement

Hi, 2008 F150 lariat crew cab. Heres the issues so far.
Driving along at 85km/hr and suddenly acting like theres no fuel. Coast to a stop and truck wont start. Towed home and tow truck driver siggusted to check the fpdm. Took it off and it was badly corroded and cracked. Bought new one and installed. At this point its too dark to continue working. MY question is that I likely have air in the fuel line, how do I purge this? I have disconectted the battery to reset the computer. Are there any other things to check, fuses relays? thanks for the help

Old 11-03-2014, 09:21 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Why do you think you have air? Hook everything up, turn on the key, you should hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds, then it should start. If you dont hear the fuel pump run, check the inertia switch and fuel pump relay. Fuse and relay locations are in your owners manual, if you dont have one you can download it.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:18 AM
I can't hear the fuel pump come on. Pressed inertia switch it wasn't tripped.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:45 AM
CRank but no start 5.4l

I think this is the right forum to post this. I have a stalled 5.4l lariat. driving and suddenly loss of power and stall and no restart. the engine cranks. I towed home and after talking to service dept at local dealer put on a new fpdm, the old one was corroded and cracked. still crank but no start. spray starting fluid into air intake and it catches so i have spark but no fuel. I pressed inertia switch and it was not tripped. I can see relay is part of fuse panel however I think it works as I can hear it click by turning the key. I cannot hear the fuel pump start when the key is turned on. I suspect the faulty fpdm toasted the fuel pump as well. Any ideas of anything else to check?

Old 11-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by david_m
I think this is the right forum to post this. I have a stalled 5.4l lariat. driving and suddenly loss of power and stall and no restart. the engine cranks. I towed home and after talking to service dept at local dealer put on a new fpdm, the old one was corroded and cracked. still crank but no start. spray starting fluid into air intake and it catches so i have spark but no fuel. I pressed inertia switch and it was not tripped. I can see relay is part of fuse panel however I think it works as I can hear it click by turning the key. I cannot hear the fuel pump start when the key is turned on. I suspect the faulty fpdm toasted the fuel pump as well. Any ideas of anything else to check?
Hey.

Fuel pump relay fuse is F09 - 20 amps. Pull it and check it with an ohmmeter - not just visually.

There are a couple relays that 'click' @ startup - so you can't say fer certain it's the fuel pump relay.

BSB

Old 11-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Hello David and welcome to the forum.

I hope your problem is resolved quickly - I think MGD and glc have given you sound advice. Follow it.

I merged your two threads since they were on the same subject. Please don't start multiple threads on the same topic. It can lead to confusing responses.

- Jack

Old 11-04-2014, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the advice. And apology for the multi thread, computer stuff isnt my strong point. Anyhow my truck is back up and running. I pulled F09 fuse, it looked ok, it was one of the solid ones that you cant really see into, tested it and of course its bad. put in new 20a fuse and presto truck is running like new. So I suspect when the fpdm fried it also got the fuse, which is what the fuse should do. Anyhow, when i put in the new fpdm I raised it a little with rubber spacers and sprayed it with tremclad and also sprayed the frame area with tremclad. Thanks again for all the advice I got here.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Thank YOU, David, for letting us know that the problem was solved and that you got helpful advice from our great members!

Hope to hear from you again.

- Jack

Quick Reply: fuel pump drive module replacement