Electrical/Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical/Starting problem

I have a 2000 F150 and noticed some odd things happening to it when it would rain. Things like (radio only working in park, windows not rolling down, windshield wipers not working). then things continued to get worse. My windshield wipers would kick on out of nowhere even when it was sunny and dry outside. One day the entire truck went hay wire in a rainstorm. All these electrical problems happened without the key in this time! the lights were flashing, door locks going on and off, windshield wiper going on and off, door dinger going off, and to top it all off the pickup would not start. only made a CLICK noise when I turned the key. so I disconnected the battery towed it home and did research on some of these forums. All the fuses are fine and Most people said that these things were happening because of the GEM module getting wet and I needed to replace the part. So I found one on eBay that matched perfectly with mine and I put a used GEM in my pickup. Truck still will not start!!! I don't know what to do next or how to get this thing running. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Old 07-31-2014, 07:10 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Sometimes, it's both the GEM and the fuse box that have been damaged. The starter control circuit goes through the fuse box.

If you didn't reseal the windshield, you'll just have the same problem again.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:43 PM
So I would still need to replace the fuse box and the starter control circuit? is there a diagnostic that can be done on the pickup to tell me exactly what all needs to be worked on? or with the electronics in the pickup being totally messed up would that be pointless?

Old 08-01-2014, 07:37 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Well, you can either do the diagnostics (they're in the service manual) or you can just replace stuff and hope you get lucky.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:49 PM
Thanks

Quick Reply: Electrical/Starting problem